After weekend split, field hockey falls three spots in latest NFHCA poll

Following a weekend split for MSU field hockey (2-2 overall), the Spartans have dropped three spots to No. 19 in the latest National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA) poll. 

In its two wins, MSU was the better team on the field in each game and had the look of a team that won the Big Ten Tournament last year. In their two losses, they played nationally ranked opponents to close finishes. They took No. 4 Duke to overtime and lost in the waining seconds, and on Sunday, the Spartans dropped a 1-0 contest to No. 18 American in double overtime.

Even with a split record, MSU has shown signs of a team that can make another tournament run later in the season. Where the Spartans have not played up to their ability in certain situations, they have still battled and fought for every inch on the turf. MSU's two overtime losses were almost as impressive as they were a blemish, which might have to do with why there was only a slight drop in their rankings this week.

With four Big Ten teams still ranked ahead of the Spartans, the team will look to get on a roll heading into conference play. They'll have two more opportunities this weekend as they head to Ohio to face Kent State and Richmond. 

Share and discuss “After weekend split, field hockey falls three spots in latest NFHCA poll” on social media.