Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Field hockey will begin conference play against Ohio State this weekend

<p>Junior forward Allie Ahern breaks away towards the net during the game against Miami (Ohio) on Nov. 13, 2013, at Ralph Young Field. The Spartans defeated the Redhawks, 3-0, during the first round of the <span class="caps">NCAA</span> tournament. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Junior forward Allie Ahern breaks away towards the net during the game against Miami (Ohio) on Nov. 13, 2013, at Ralph Young Field. The Spartans defeated the Redhawks, 3-0, during the first round of the NCAA tournament. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

After two exhibition games and six non-conference games, MSU field hockey (4-2 overall) will kick off Big Ten play this weekend in Columbus as they take on Ohio State (2-3 overall) at 3 p.m.

It will be the second consecutive year that the Spartans open their conference play with OSU. Last year, MSU defeated the Buckeyes 3-2 near the end of September and came out victorious again when they knocked OSU out of the Big Ten Tournament in the second round. The latter was a double-overtime game in Columbus, so even though OSU hasn’t been stellar this season, MSU knows they have to put an emphasis in each game.

“This year, we’re ... putting an emphasis on making every game really important,” senior forward Abby Barker said. “We’re not just going to say ‘Oh, just because this is Michigan’ or ‘Just because this is Maryland.’ We’re going to bring our all for every game.”

MSU is in great form heading into their game on Friday with no major injuries and quality depth throughout their lineup. While the group of seven seniors clearly set the pace for the Spartans, solid contributions are being made throughout the roster.

Last weekend, redshirt freshman Kendal Anderson scored her first two goals as a Spartan a mere 30 miles from her hometown. Sophomore Megan Fenton has cashed in three goals this season, and goalkeeper Sierra Patton has been nothing but impressive in her first season as a starter.

“Every day we can get better,” senior midfielder Becky Stiles said. “It’s awesome to see the depth that our team has, and I think every day we’re improving and in the right direction, so it’s encouraging to see that.”

Part of what allows MSU to have such great depth is the bond that this team has built. The girls have been on the road for every weekend in September thus far, which has given them the opportunity to come together and overcome challenges.

“For our team especially, we have a lot of chemistry,” Barker said about the constant travel. “So being on the road isn’t really that bad when you’re surrounded by 20 of your best friends.”

This will be the Spartans last away game before returning home for two matchups during homecoming weekend. That will be a big testament to where this team stands, as they will face No. 6 Penn State and No. 2 Maryland. Nevertheless, the only game on MSU’s mind right now is its tilt against the Buckeyes on Friday.

“Friday will be a great test for us in Big Ten play, and also to see how everybody else is doing across the conference,” head coach Helen Knull said. “I think we’re finally starting to find our rhythm and our flow and our groove.”

Share and discuss “Field hockey will begin conference play against Ohio State this weekend” on social media.