Despite experience on team, underclassmen could be key to success for field hockey

<p>The team holds hands as the national anthem is played before a game against the University of Maine on Aug. 31, 2014, at Ralph Young Field. The Spartans defeated the Black Bears, 5-4 in overtime. Jessalyn Tamez/The State News </p>

The team holds hands as the national anthem is played before a game against the University of Maine on Aug. 31, 2014, at Ralph Young Field. The Spartans defeated the Black Bears, 5-4 in overtime. Jessalyn Tamez/The State News

Photo by Jessalyn Tamez | The State News

All three of the MSU field hockey members named to the preseason Big Ten Players to Watch List were seniors. Yes, team captain Heather Howie is also a senior. Yet, it’s starting to look like the underclassmen on this roster will be the ones to push the Spartans to the next level.

Sophomore goalkeeper Sierra Patton and sophomore forward Megan Fenton came up with key performances this past weekend. On their way to splitting the weekend series, it was apparent that the group of seven seniors will provide much of the necessary punch this year. Nevertheless, Head Coach Helen Knull will still be looking for contributions throughout the roster.

Against Duke on Friday, goals were at a premium and MSU was having a hard time finding the back of the net. After Duke scored to take a 1-0 lead in the first half, the next goal wasn’t scored until there was less than eight seconds left in regulation.

Knowing the next goal could have very well decided the game, Patton was extraordinary in net and gave her team the chance they needed to win the game. Even when the pressure is on and the game might be on the line, Patton tries to keep the game as simple as possible and focus on what she practices.

“The first save’s the most important,” Patton said. “I really don’t think about the second save until I make the first one.

“I just think about what my coach tells me — stay low, stay on angle, and hope I get it.”

After making her first regular season start, Knull was more than pleased with Patton’s play in net.

“Sierra had an outstanding game for her first start in the green and white in real season,” Knull said. “I think that she came in and she executed well today. Things that (goalkeeper coach) Molly Pelowski has been talking about with her in practice, she put into action today.

“It gives her confidence, it gives the team confidence, and I’m excited for her and how she played today.”

On Sunday against Maine, it was Fenton who stepped up for the Spartans and turned in a key performance. After scoring the game’s first goal just over five minutes into the game, Fenton saw her team drop an early two goal lead to go into the half trailing 4-3.

Even with the Maine goalkeeper standing tall in net, MSU kept to its process and tried to focus on the details. Early in the second half, Fenton got to the front of the net and redirected the ball past the goalie to tie the game.

Following a big performance for her team early in the season, Fenton still has a mindset that seems to permeate through this team.

“It’s just staying mentally strong and physically strong throughout the duration of the game,” Fenton said. “Fighting till the very last second of the game.”

As proven this weekend, that’s a quality that these Spartans will display throughout the year. 

Share and discuss “Despite experience on team, underclassmen could be key to success for field hockey” on social media.