COGS president addresses struggles, future plans

<p>Council of Graduate Students president Emily Bank poses for a portrait on Sept. 25, 2014, at the State News. Jessalyn Tamez/The State News </p>

Council of Graduate Students president Emily Bank poses for a portrait on Sept. 25, 2014, at the State News. Jessalyn Tamez/The State News

Photo by Jessalyn Tamez | The State News

Despite some recent struggles within the organization, Council of Graduate Students President Emily Bank is feeling confident about the months ahead.

Because of a lack of quorum (the required amount of members present to make an official vote), September’s meeting of the COGS general council was never officially adjourned. This caused several members to panic as it left important decisions at an unfinished stage.

An ad-hoc subcommittee regarding COGS’ position on health care changes was formed by member Robert Vankirk, but meetings of the committee were called into question over their validity as representation of the general council. The subcommittee was recently disbanded in favor of productive discussion among students that was unofficial and off the record.

“I’m happy it is something that people are so passionate about,” Bank said in regard to the health care changes. “We really want to move the conversation forward and take in all perspectives before we make any official decisions.”

Bank has been president of COGS since March, and was elected into office promoting goals to improve graduate students’ and professional assistants’ overall health and mental well-being. These goals are still a major focus for the group as a whole.

“We are working closely with Student Health Services and Olin Health Center,” Bank said. “We want to be a part of the healthy campus initiative.”

Last year, Bank and ASMSU officials said Mental Health Awareness Week was a big success on campus advocating for bettering students’ overall state of mind at MSU. Bank says COGS hopes to partner with organizations like ASMSU in the program, as well as continue Graduate & Professional Student Appreciation Week in the spring. GSPA Week is a national program that emphasizes the value of graduate and professional students’ contributions.

COGS recently began the process of moving to Chittenden Hall, the on-campus hub for graduate students. The move will open up the offices to students and also provide an easier way for COGS to partner with alumni and campus organizations.

The council is planning to do more volunteer work this semester, with volunteers working at the MSU Student Food Bank. Bank said the organization hopes to donate $5,000 to the food bank which is enough to buy over 10,000 pounds of food for families and students in need.

Another plan for volunteer work includes helping with the transition of residents out of Spartan Village, which is expected to be demolished in the near future.

“We are trying to find the best support services for relocating the students and families affected by this,” Bank said.

The next general council meeting is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. on Oct. 8 in the Clara Bell Smith Student-Athlete Academic Center. One of the main goals at the meeting will be to reconvene from the last meeting and update members on the intentions of the executive board moving forward.

Share and discuss “COGS president addresses struggles, future plans” on social media.