Tuesday, March 19, 2024

After historic 2013 season, men's soccer maintains high expectations for 2014

<p>Sophomore defender Jerome Cristobal attempts to score a goal past Stevens midfielder Jeff Althoff on Aug. 24, 2014, at DeMartin Soccer Stadium at Old College Field during a game against Stevens Institute of Technology. The Spartans defeated the Ducks, 4-0. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Sophomore defender Jerome Cristobal attempts to score a goal past Stevens midfielder Jeff Althoff on Aug. 24, 2014, at DeMartin Soccer Stadium at Old College Field during a game against Stevens Institute of Technology. The Spartans defeated the Ducks, 4-0. Erin Hampton/The State News

Photo by Erin Hampton | The State News

Following a historic 2013 season in which MSU went 14-6-3, setting the record for the most regular season wins in the in program history, the men’s soccer team will look to build on the recent success and take it a step further this season.

“I think we’re getting to a point, as a program, where we want to have high expectations, (but) you know we’ve got to be realistic,” Head Coach Damon Rensing said before practice on Tuesday afternoon. “But with the guys that we have coming back and a lot of guys who’ve scored goals for us coming back, and some guys in midfield with their leadership, (junior goalkeeper Zach Bennett) in goal, we should have high expectations.”

MSU comes into the season ranked No. 10 in the preseason NSCAA Coaches Poll. The team faces considerable expectations considering they have their top four goal scorers from last season returning in senior forward Tim Kreutz (9), senior forward Adam Montague (6), senior midfielder Fatai Alashe (4), and junior midfielder Jay Chapman (3).

MSU also has Bennett, who is currently number two on the MSU all-time save percentage list, returning to the pitch. In total, the team has eight starters returning, and 19 letter-winners — 17 of which played offseason soccer over the summer to continue development and to stay tuned up for the upcoming season.

“Having a guy like (Bennett) who’s been through everything now in a year-and-a-half of playing, he’s got a good temperament, very athletic, and I think his soccer IQ continues to get better and better,” Rensing said. “He’s getting better with his feet, so he’s going to be a big part of our team if we’re going to have some success.”

As the team hopes to continue their recent success, it starts with winning the Big Ten, which includes four teams ranked in the preseason top-25. MSU sits only behind Maryland at No. 2 with fellow conference foes Penn state at No. 15 and Wisconsin at No. 21 respectively.

In total, MSU plays five teams ranked in the preseason top-25, also including No.13 Akron and No.1 Notre Dame — the team responsible for the last two MSU NCAA Tournament eliminations. Notre Dame defeated MSU in the second round in 2012 and in the Elite Eight in 2013. 

Share and discuss “After historic 2013 season, men's soccer maintains high expectations for 2014” on social media.