In admissions, MSU focuses more on overall academic performance than ACT scores

When it comes to selecting the best applicants, MSU reviews students’ overall academics rather than focusing on ACT scores alone. Based only on student’s ACT scores, MSU is ranked second to last of the Big Ten institutions.

According to a data compiled by Bridge Magazine, MSU admits a higher number of students with low ACT scores than any other Big Ten school except Nebraska, which was at the bottom. Despite MSU’s lower ACT test results, it has both a high freshmen retention rate and the second highest graduation rate in the state.

Although selecting students to attend MSU can be a process, administrators — including MSU Director of Admissions Jim Cotter — believe it takes more than just looking at test scores to evaluate students’ potential.

“Although ACT scores are important, it’s not a singular factor,” Cotter said. “How a student does in high school from day-to-day, trends in grades, personal statements and how they are going to have a positive input are other important factors.”

With ACT test scores improving over the past 10 years at MSU, it is one of the few Big Ten institutions to continue accepting lower ACT scores.

Senior Associate Director of Admissions Mike Cook said students with advanced placement courses and high grade point averages on their transcript are strong applicants.

“We look at academic courses and what type(s) of courses, like AP courses,” Cook said. “It’s a combination of the two. ACT and GPA pick up things like a tie-breaker.”

Some freshmen starting at MSU this fall look back on the application process as stressful.

“Schools make it seem like the higher the ACT score, the better chance you (have of being) accepted,” no-preference freshman Derrick Dawson said. “As an honor roll student, I felt like I had to get good grades, which was very stressful in high school.”

Cotter believes diversity and an applicant’s essay are what make a strong voice heard, especially because the stress of standardized tests can sometimes materialize as low scores.

“Diversity represents many things, and this year it is the most diverse incoming freshmen class,” Cotter said. “A class that holds diversity together will be the most successful.”

Sociology freshman Qinyi Chen said her essay reflected a lot of who she is. “My essay ... was the strongest in applying,” Chen said. “I wanted to broaden my mind and my essay did that.”

As a large institution, MSU admits students based on a variety of qualities.

“A high school record is incredibly important because it allows us to see how a student does in a four-year glimpse,” Cotter said. “A test score is (only) a 3 to 4 hour glimpse, and it’s a smaller chance of getting to know that person.”

Share and discuss “In admissions, MSU focuses more on overall academic performance than ACT scores” on social media.