Volleyball improves to 3-0 with road win over Jacksonville State

With three games in the books, MSU has yet to lose a set. The Spartans (3-0) followed up yesterday’s two wins with another against Jacksonville State 3-0 (25-15, 25-14, 25-10).

It was a true team effort for head coach Cathy George’s squad as every player on the roster saw playing time.

The first set was neck and neck, until a kill by freshman outside hitter Holly Toliver sparked a 5-0 run. Toliver finished with eight kills, which was good for second on the team behind sophomore middle blocker and opposite hitter Allyssah Fitterer’s ten.

A quick start in the second set powered MSU to a double-digit victory in the period.

Sophomore middle blocker Autumn Christenson was a defensive machine, tallying five of the team’s 14 blocks.

Freshman setter Rachel Minarick led the team with 12 digs. Redshirt sophomore defensive specialist Kristen Muir contributed eight digs.

The Spartans cruised in the third set behind sophomore outside hitter Chloe Reinig and redshirt freshman middle blocker Megan Tompkins. Reinig had seven kills and five blocks. Tompkins chipped in three kills and one dig.

MSU will put it’s undefeated record on the line when they play tournament host Samford (2-0) tonight at 8 p.m.

Share and discuss “Volleyball improves to 3-0 with road win over Jacksonville State” on social media.