Protestor of indecency laws stands shirtless outside Union

With nothing more than a few strips of duct tape covering her nipples, MSU alumna and South Lansing resident Alex Perez proudly stood outside the MSU Student Union on Sunday afternoon.

She was protesting states with indecency laws that penalize women for going topless, but not men.

“It’s for gender equality,” Perez said of the protest. “I think it’s about 30 states where the indecency laws don’t single out females, but in all the rest of them, they all specifically say ‘female nipples.’ And I don’t think there’s really a difference between female nipples and male nipples.”

Perez said a protest like hers is a way to raise awareness about the issue.

“Even in the states where you are allowed to go topless, a lot of women don’t know that...they think that they’ll still be arrested for it because it’s just such a common thing,” Perez said.

Holding a sign that read, “#FreeTheNipple,” she was joined by her fiance, MSU alumnus Jake Chybowski, and a fellow protester, Florencia Colella.

“We should all have the same rights. That’s why I support this cause,” said Colella, an MSU graduate student.

“I hope just to spread awareness,” Chybowski said. “Personally, I’ve been inspired by how much awareness the Ice Bucket Challenge has caused lately and so I feel like getting the word out is important.”

Share and discuss “Protestor of indecency laws stands shirtless outside Union” on social media.