MSU revamps misconduct hotline

MSU recently launched a revamped version of an already existing fiscal misconduct hotline, giving MSU community members an anonymous way to report a variety of misconduct, ranging from sexual assault to academic dishonesty.

MSU spokesman Jason Cody said the hotline is not designed to replace 911, but instead is meant to encourage witnesses to speak up.

"When we deal with any issues with reporting misconduct, we take a look at what would be the practical, good step for us to take," Cody said. "(The hotline) is all about removing barriers so employees (or other MSU community members) feel safe in reporting misconduct."

Cody said the hotline is run by a third-party company based out of Atlanta, Georgia which takes the calls, classifies the complaints by what type of misconduct is being reported, strips the report of any information that could identify the complainant and then sends the report to MSU's Internal Audit Department.

Internal Audit Director Thomas Luccock said in an email the expansion of the hotline was not prompted by any specific concerns, but rather done because "most of the other universities, certainly in the Big Ten, have expanded the scope of their hotlines over time."

"I think it is very important for universities to have an outlet for anonymously reporting known or suspected misconduct," Luccock said. "However, wherever possible, the concern should be first discussed with your supervisor. The Misconduct Hotline does not replace the University Reporting Protocols regarding child abuse, sexual assault or child pornography... Also, it is important to know the University prohibits retaliation against any employee who makes a report in good faith of known or suspected misconduct."

The Misconduct Hotline can be accessed at 800-763-0764, or online at http://misconduct.msu.edu/.

Share and discuss “MSU revamps misconduct hotline ” on social media.