MSU alumni unite for night of music-making at The Loft

On Sunday night, three Spartan alumni took the stage at The Loft in Lansing to perform their different styles of music.

Los Angeles resident Lauren LoGrasso came back to her home state of Michigan for what she called a “mini-tour,” and approached Detroit resident Joei Redd and Lansing resident Sonya Major to be her openers.

Originally, LoGrasso said she moved out to Los Angeles for an internship at The Ellen Show but stayed to pursue acting.

She added she didn’t see music as an option, but then she started writing songs to vent her frustrations with the acting industry and has since further pursued music.

“Music has been a dream I didn’t see and I’m so glad it came up,” LoGrasso said.

Planning for the tour began in June and LoGrasso said she has booked shows in Detroit and Traverse City.

“It’s important to me to come home and perform for the state raised me,” LoGrasso said.

The first opening performer Redd, a rap artist, said she met LoGrasso in college on MSU Telecasters which was a student sitcom where Redd did audio and video work and LoGrasso performed as an actress.

She said she was excited to be back in Lansing to perform, since she lives in Detroit.

“I feel like it’s a coming home party because I’m an alumni of Michigan State,” Redd said. “I felt like me coming back here, I could gain more fans.”

Grand Rapids resident Shushanna Uhe said she also met LoGrasso and Redd while working with MSU Telecasters, and came to The Loft to support both of her friends from college.

“It’s kind of cool to take a trip, enjoy the atmosphere and see my friends perform and do their best and cheer them on and give them support,” Uhe said.

The second of the openers, Major, said her family and LoGrasso’s have become friends because of Major’s mother being LoGrasso’s vocal instructor.

Major is a member of the Lansing band The Blue Effect, and The Loft show was her first solo opportunity.

“(The Loft show) gave me an opportunity to put together some of my own stuff,” Major said.

LoGrasso said playing at The Loft with fellow Spartan friends opening for her was a fun experience which felt full-circle.

“It was a very, very meaningful experience to have those girls open for me, they did a phenomenal job and I’m so proud of both of them” LoGrasso said.

The setlist for LoGrasso’s show consisted of covers and original songs either she wrote solo or with Los Angeles resident Jordan Leer, the other half in her band “LoJo and The Truth.”

LoGrasso finished off the show by performing the MSU fight song with assistance from her guitarist and alumnus Chris Reed and alumni friends in the audience.

Share and discuss “MSU alumni unite for night of music-making at The Loft” on social media.