Green defeats White in annual volleyball Green and White game, 2-1

"Go Green" could be considered the motto at Saturday's volleyball Green and White game. 

Senior outside hitter Taylor Galloway’s six kills and nine digs were not enough to push her White team to victory as the Green team won, 2-1 (25-12, 23-25, 25-18).

“Obviously we lost so I’m not happy at all,” said Galloway. “But overall I thought some players stepped up at times and we have a lot of work ahead of us.”

Senior libero Kori Moster, sophomore middle blocker Autumn Christenson, junior setter Halle Peterson, redshirt freshman middle blocker Megan Tompkins, redshirt sophomore outside hitter Ebony Scott, freshman defensive specialist Abby Monson, redshirt freshman middle blocker Brooke Kranda and junior middle blocker Maggie Halloran joined Galloway on the White team.

Redshirt sophomore defensive specialist Kristen Muir, sophomore middle blocker Allyssah Fitterer, senior defensive specialist Ryian Hubbard, sophomore outside hitter Chloe Reining, freshman setter Rachel Minarick, senior middle blocker Jazmine White, freshman libero Mariss Ratzenberger, freshman middle blocker Alyssa Garvelink and freshman outside hitter Holly Toliver comprised the victorious Green team.

Head coach Cathy George said there was no player draft like the one the football team had for the spring game.

“We divided the teams and tried to see different things that we wanted to emphasize and see how people held up in certain circumstances,” said George, who also acknowledged the winning team did not but should have won some sort of prize.

Muir led the Green team with 13 digs and added four assists. Toliver and  Fitterer also chipped in with double digits kills apiece.

White had a game high six blocks for the Green team.

Moster led the White team with 14 digs. Tompkins (middle blocker) contributed four blocks and four kills.

Both the Green and White teams had different players make impact plays at different times, which did not go unnoticed by the head coach, who watched the game in isolation from the bench.

“I think we have a lot of depth on this team,” said George. “It will help serve us throughout the year as we face challenging teams.”

The Spartans first challenge of the regular season comes at the Alabama- Birmingham/ Samford tournament on Friday against Southeastern Louisiana. 

Share and discuss “Green defeats White in annual volleyball Green and White game, 2-1” on social media.