Monday, March 18, 2024

ESPN analyst David Pollack picks MSU as preseason Big Ten football favorite

When Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller went down for the season with a shoulder injury, many experts put MSU in the driver’s seat for the Big Ten championship. According to ESPN analyst David Pollack, MSU was in that seat all along.

The commentator and former Georgia standout said he had MSU as the favorite in his preseason predictions when he spoke to reporters via conference call Thursday. He said despite defensive losses to the pro ranks the offense of the Spartans can carry them to a championship.

“I liked what I saw from Connor Cook a year ago, I like their offensive skill players,” Pollack said. “Defensively they lose a ton, but I really love what Mark Dantonio has instilled, I love the way he carries himself.”

Pollack added he believes Connor Cook is the best quarterback in the Big Ten.

Despite the perception of the Big Ten as an inferior power conference, Pollack said MSU has separated themselves as contenders for a spot in the college football playoff, but said plenty of variables have to fall into place as well, including the quality of upcoming opponents.

“It depends on so many things… including how the committee views Oregon,” he said. “I kind of think Oregon is overrated, a lot of people have them as high as 3rd in the country. I see them as a little overrated.”

MSU plays Oregon in Eugene, under the lights September 6.

A home win against Ohio State could have diminished value as well, said Pollack, after the injury to Braxton Miller.

“If they beat Ohio State, how impressive really is it? At that point in the season it might not be,” Pollack said. “With Braxton Miller’s injury it becomes harder to gauge the Big Ten.”

MSU hosts Ohio State November 8. The season kicks off for the Spartans at home against Jacksonville State Friday August 29 at 7:30 p.m.

Share and discuss “ESPN analyst David Pollack picks MSU as preseason Big Ten football favorite” on social media.