Dantonio looks forward to scrimmage, praises freshmen during practice on Friday

<p>Head coach Mark Dantonio gives pointers during practice drills Aug. 8, 2014, at the practice field outside Duffy Daugherty Football Building. The football season kicks off on Aug. 29, with a game against Jacksonville State. Jessalyn Tamez/The State News</p>

Head coach Mark Dantonio gives pointers during practice drills Aug. 8, 2014, at the practice field outside Duffy Daugherty Football Building. The football season kicks off on Aug. 29, with a game against Jacksonville State. Jessalyn Tamez/The State News

Photo by Jessalyn Tamez | The State News

The MSU football team had its first scrimmage of preseason camp on Saturday, and head coach Mark Dantonio saw it as an opportunity to sort out the remaining rotation battles.

At practice on Friday, Dantonio addressed the unsettled rotation spots and freshmen who have impressed the coaching staff during camp.

Sorting out the rotation

Dantonio usually favors his veterans, but some of the new recruits are giving the head coach pause in how he handles his not-yet-finalized depth chart.

He said Saturday’s scrimmage could make-or-break whether his freshmen will crack the rotation in the upcoming season.

“We try and make this as game-like as we can and, really, as I told the younger players ... this week will define whether you’ll play this year or not, for the most part,” Dantonio said. “You’ve gotta be able to get your speed on the ground and be able to adapt to the system. They’ve had a week of practice to be able to learn a little bit, so we’ll see how they’re going to be.”

Standout freshmen

Freshman corner Montae Nicholson was one of the first guys Dantonio said has stood out in practice, pointing out his athleticism as a reason why he’s currently No. 2 on the depth chart. However, the promising corner has some work to do before he can sniff a lead role.

“But can he sustain and put the plays together, and that’s the thing you have to be able to do,” Dantonio said. “He’s been playing against our No. 1 receivers, has been very successful at times. Other times, he loses the individual battle. He’s an impressive guy as far as how he handles things.”

Freshman center Brian Allen is currently No. 2 on the depth chart behind his brother, junior Jack Allen. Dantonio said Brian is ahead of the curve compared to the other freshmen.

“He really has (impressed me) because Jack’s been here, so there’s a foundation of what we do because of them being brothers and sharing things,” Dantonio said. “He’s well ahead of the curve as far as knowing what to do. And physically, he’s gifted. He’s an outstanding wrestler, he’s 295, 300 pound guy that can move his feet and use his hands.”

Dantonio also named freshman defensive lineman Enoch Smith Jr., freshman defensive lineman Malik McDowell, freshman defensive lineman Montez Sweat and freshman running back Madre London as guys who are competing at the No. 2 spot on the depth chart.

“They’ve all impressed, but those are the guys who are probably working at the top two’s right now,” Dantonio said.

Share and discuss “Dantonio looks forward to scrimmage, praises freshmen during practice on Friday” on social media.