AJ Troup, Nick Hill impress in win over Jacksonville State

<p>Then-junior wide receiver AJ Troup weaves past Jacksonville State safety Folo Johnson, 4, on Aug. 29, 2014, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Gamecocks, 45-7. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Then-junior wide receiver AJ Troup weaves past Jacksonville State safety Folo Johnson, 4, on Aug. 29, 2014, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Gamecocks, 45-7. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

There’s nothing like a chip on your shoulder.

Despite winning the Rose Bowl last season, the pressure is still on for an MSU program that historically has had the tendency to fuel its doubters with disappointing encores to great seasons.

Friday night, against a team that would be easy to overlook, the Spartans played as though they had a statement to make, exactly as Head Coach Mark Dantonio intended.

Two players in particular showed tenacity to the doubters. Junior wide receiver AJ Troup caught a touchdown pass in the first quarter from junior quarterback Connor Cook.

After two knee injuries and countless surgeries, it seemed as though the odds were stacked against Troup as he was put through the rehab process over and over again.

The touchdown he caught was a special one.

“I’m surprised he didn’t have tears or anything like that,” redshirt senior wide receiver Tony Lippett said. “He came a long way, a lot of people didn’t think he would come back, but in his mind he knew he could overcome it.”

Troup’s touchdown was his first career reception.

“Last season was a long season,” Troup said. “I learned a lot, not only about the playbook but about myself, just appreciating the grind more.”

Troup latest knee injury came a month away from the start of the season last season, one that resulted in the Spartans winning the Rose Bowl.

“Everything happens for a reason,” he said. “I feel just as good not playing in that Rose Bowl because we won it.”

Another Spartan with a chip on his shoulder is redshirt senior running back Nick Hill. Hill has been inconsistent in his time at MSU, but on Friday, that inconsistency disappeared.

“Experience helps,” he said. “Now I’m reading the defense and I remember stuff from film, having experience helps any player.”

Hill had two rushing touchdowns after replacing senior running back Jeremy Langford at the end of the first quarer. Hill has separated himself as the clear No. 2 running back on the depth chart.

Hill said the chip on his and his teammates shoulders are one of the main components of their success.

“I think what makes Michigan State who we are is we always play with a chip,” he said. “We feel that people are shocked when we do well, like last year,when it comes down to it we play with a chip, that’s when we’re at our best.”

Share and discuss “AJ Troup, Nick Hill impress in win over Jacksonville State” on social media.