University uses Social Media Day to push engagement

The MSU Alumni Association joined the U.S. in celebrating Social Media Day on Monday, connecting Spartans on and off campus through the Twitter and Instagram hashtag #MSUSMDay .

This marked the first year the the Alumni Association established a unified, mass push of social media on the day, though it has been celebrated nationally for several years.

The association invited Spartans worldwide to tweet which spot on campus they miss and post photos of anything green and white on Instagram. In return, members and volunteers for the association would take pictures of the locations and send them in a reply tweet and also repost the best green and white photos.

"We were completely overwhelmed with responses," Associate Director of Marketing and Communications for University Advancement Shannon Marsh said. "We were absolutely thrilled with the engagement."

She said they were not entirely sure what to expect regarding participation, but will certainly continue to push Social Media Day in the future given this year's turnout.

Marsh said they push social media activity during big sporting events and other notable happenings around campus year-round — not just on the designated day.

"Social media is a great way to have a casual and ever-changing public space for the university," she said. "It's constant interaction and engagement in a more fun, less formal setting."

The university as a whole has embraced social media in recent years, using the platform as a tool to the university and its mission, with significant success.

While the Alumni Association focused mainly on connecting former Spartans back to the university, the MSU Detroit Center, which acts as a hub for Detroit-based activities on part of the university and university partners, utilized Monday's social media push to connect potential Spartans to the campus from their homes, MSU Detroit Center Director Jena Baker-Calloway said.

"This was largely about promoting MSU and giving prospective students the opportunity to connect to the university even locally," she said.

The social media initiative also helped heighten awareness that the Detroit Center is available and MSU alumni are welcome to the space, which is important because southeastern Michigan houses probably the greatest portion of MSU alumni in the state, Baker-Calloway said. 

She agreed MSU will enact similar campaigns in the future, as the use of social media is a good way for "current, local, international, former and future students to stay connected."

Share and discuss “University uses Social Media Day to push engagement” on social media.