Sidewalk Sales over weekend entice shoppers

The annual East Lansing Sidewalk Sales were held throughout the weekend and included restaurants and shops located on Grand River Avenue.

Known for their participation in the sales, the Student Book Store offered many deals for the customers.

Books, school supplies, souvenirs, Rose Bowl gear and more covered tables and filled clothing racks outside the store bringing in curious passersby in addition to shoppers.

Social relations and policy sophomore Shannon Fagan was a window shopper who said she noticed the sales occurring and stopped to look at the Rose Bowl selection the Student Book Store had to offer.

“It’s nice they have all their sale stuff out here for people that are interested,” Fagan said.

The Student Book Store associate and communications senior Jill Brown said the sale is great for customers. Student Book Store had 50 percent off items, with other additional discounts mixed in.

“A lot of this stuff, there’s nothing wrong with it, it’s just ... plain MSU stuff, so it’s kind of cool to offer customers something half-price,” Brown said.

On the opposite end of the street, not as many businesses participated in the sale events.

Spartan Corner associate Cindy Irish said during her shift she did not have a lot of business occurring outside.

Irish said sales might have been better if other businesses near the shop had also set up sales outside.

“I think (the sidewalk sale) is a good program to bring people down, but we need more participation,” Irish said. “I understand some people say it’s (a) corporate matter and they can’t pull things out, but ... they know it’s coming every year.”

The shop had deals on MSU sweatshirts and t-shirts in addition to Greek apparel, which the store stocks.

Spartan Corner, located next to Conrad’s Grill and American Apparel, was the only store toward the end of the sidewalk to participate.

However, on Saturday Urban Outfitters had sales occurring from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. and handed out free ice cream to celebrate National Ice Cream Month.

Student Book Store associate Liz Wine said she was shocked to see fewer businesses participating in the East Lansing Sidewalk Sales.

“It brings in a lot of revenue and attention to the store, so I don’t know why you wouldn’t do that, especially if you have stuff that you’re trying to move, like sale items,” Wine said.

Share and discuss “Sidewalk Sales over weekend entice shoppers” on social media.