Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Sexual assault needs to be taken seriously

<p></p>

Every year during the first week at MSU there is an exchange of wisdom passed down from upperclassmen to the “newbies” that consist of freshmen and transfers. In classrooms and dorms and at cafeteria tables there is a verbal list that is handed out like last week’s quiz. On this list are all the fraternity houses that are considered “safe” to party at and the other ones where you "might get raped.”

Students have even adopted the name “Rape Trail” for a secluded pathway near the woods behind Holmes and McDonel Halls. Although I oppose and do not participate in this ideology, this gives students the idea that those who go to these potentially high-risk locations are “asking for it.”

Even though this is not the case, as no one asks to get raped, it perpetuates the erroneous idea that sexual assault is just another potential college experience.

According to the U.S. Department of Education — which has launched an investigation into MSU’s response to sexual assault cases — there were 20 forcible sexual offenses in 2012 on MSU’s campus, 15 of which were in student housing facilities. Keep in mind that silence has kept these numbers low.

Rape and sexual assault are drastically underreported. Nearly half of the female student population that has experienced rape did not consider the incident sexual assault.

In the same way that shame can silence these victims, so can the misguided idea that what happened to them wasn’t illegal.

More than 70 percent of victims knew their attackers. We as students cannot get comfortable with the low number of reported rapes and assume that MSU is safe. We should not be satisfied until there are no longer any incidents of sexual assault — one rape is too many.

Thankfully, MSU has made many attempts to address the issue of sexual assault on campus.

If you took a walk around campus, you would come across green emergency phones on the walkways outside residence halls which provide phone access to anyone in an unsafe situation.

Another safety measure is that residence halls are always locked and require an MSU ID to enter.

Although a good idea, this does not increase the safety of many women who are still at risk of being sexually assaulted by someone they know. All new students are required to complete an online sexual assault course, as well as attend an MSU Sexual Assault and Relationship Violence Protection (SARV) workshop.

This workshop provides college newbies with everything they may need to know about sexual assault and violence against women; from dispersing myths to locating support resources that are nearby. Although some may see this workshop as an interruption to their day, I praise this group for raising awareness and passing out a pamphlet of resources that ends up on every student's fridge next to a Chinese take-out menu.

Specific resources include the Sexual Assault Crisis Intervention team, Olin Health Center and MSU Women’s Resource Center (WRC).

I find the resource MSU Safe Place particularly interesting and unique. Safe Place houses MSU students, faculty, staff and others in confidential locations to protect them from stalking and threats of abuse. They also offer counseling, referrals, advocacy and support groups.

These are positive changes on campus, but there are more opportunities for improvement — men need to get in on this too. Women should not have to be told just to be more careful  — men should also be taught the strict line between consensual and non-consensual sex.

It sounds simple, but with dominant ideologies and a culture that is arguably in favor of these very same men, it is hard to get the point across. MSU has to make sexual assault a big deal to men by incorporating education and training into groups such as fraternities and male athletics. While driving down the street I sometimes see fraternity houses bearing banners that proclaim “We Pledge to Not Haze” and “In Support of Not Hazing.” In addition, I would like to see banners that say, “We Pledge to Respect Women” and “In Support of Respect.” Maybe then men would not turn a blind eye to this horrible crime.

I am very aware of the odds of being sexually assaulted. As a woman and a college student I risk the chance of becoming a victim. However, I cannot be afraid of something that may or may not exist in every shadow. I’d prefer it if I did not feel the need to check over my shoulder every minute walking home, and I do not want to constantly live my life on high alert.

This is why it is important that I, and other women and men, are made to feel safe on campus. MSU has done a great job taking the first steps by providing workshops, emergency phones and resources regarding sexual assault. But so long as sexual assaults keep happening, the battle isn’t won.

Campus safety is a green and white issue. Every Spartan must be in on the fight to make students feel safe on our campus — and no longer require pepper spray as a high school graduation gift.

Kara England is a psychology and criminal justice junior. Reach her at englankm@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Sexual assault needs to be taken seriously” on social media.