MSU football trails Ohio State in Big Ten preview poll

<p>Junior defensive end Shilique Calhoun cheers April 26, 2014, after the Spring Green and White game at Spartan Stadium. The White team won, 20-13. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Junior defensive end Shilique Calhoun cheers April 26, 2014, after the Spring Green and White game at Spartan Stadium. The White team won, 20-13. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

As the 2014 MSU football season approaches, the preseason predictions become more frequent. According to a poll conducted by The Cleveland Plain Dealer last Friday, voters believe the Spartans won’t be quite as successful as they were last season.

The poll, which the Plain Dealer administered for the fourth consecutive year ever since the Big Ten stopped doing one, consists of a panel of 29 Big Ten writers. Ohio State received the highest number of votes with 195, 23 of which were first place.

MSU received the second highest number of votes in the East division with 180, 10 of which were for first place. Michigan received the third-highest amount of votes in the East with 136.

The predictions come after a season that saw the Spartans emerged as the Big Ten champs and Rose Bowl winners. MSU defeated the Buckeyes 34 to 24 in the championship game, snapping a 24-game winning streak for Ohio State.

The Buckeyes will return star senior quarterback Braxton Miller and several other key players, leading many to believe they could bounce back next season after a disappointing end to their 2013 campaign.

Wisconsin received the second highest number of votes overall and placed first in the West division with 183.5, 15 of which were for first place.

Ohio State also emerged as the favorite for the Big Ten Championship with 19 votes. MSU finished in second place with nine.

The Plain Dealer also took a poll for Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year predictions. MSU junior defensive end Shilique Calhoun emerged as the favorite, edging out Nebraska junior defensive end Randy Gregory 13 to 10.

Calhoun enjoyed a breakout season last year, compiling 14 tackles, 7.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and three touchdowns.

Senior Ohio State defensive tackle Michael Bennett, sophomore Ohio State defensive lineman Joey Bosa and Michigan redshirt senior linebacker Jake Ryan rounded out the rest of the list with four votes, one vote and one vote, respectively.

Share and discuss “MSU football trails Ohio State in Big Ten preview poll” on social media.