LBGT Resource Center receives $1 million gift from anonymous donor

A $1 million gift has been presented to MSU's Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay, Transgender, or LBGT, Resource Center to establish an all-new fund meant to help the university's LGBT community.

The LBGT Resource Center recently received this gift, which has been dubbed the Support, Outreach, Action and Respect Fund, also called the SOAR Fund, from an MSU alumni and his partner. The donors of the bequest, which was the largest donation in the history of the center, wished to remain anonymous. 

However, LBGT Resource Center director Deanna Hurlbert  said the two have a clear vision for how they want the money to be spent. 

The gift will be used over time to support and empower LGBT students to succeed, provide programs, education and support to LGBT students, take actions for the LGBT community's benefit and assist LGBT students in building self-esteem and promoting respect throughout the campus and community. 

Hurlbert, a MSU alumna, said she is committed to making sure the center honors the vision and legacy of these donors, as they have for every gift they have received in the past. 

"I had a chance to meet donors when conceptualizing and it was a very emotional experience," she said. "Hearing their vision and their story and hearing about their experience at MSU and why this was so important to them was very emotional. I feel a responsibility to their legacy and to giving them a voice."

Denzel McCampbell, the former program coordinator at the resource center and a MSU alumnus , received two scholarships from the LBGT Resource Center during his time at MSU. 

He said he was excited upon hearing about the donation, adding that he hopes to see the resource center extend its resources and programs with the help of the donors' generous bequest. 

"It's extremely exciting," he said. "Who would've known if a type of gift like that would have even happened five years ago?" 

Of course, no gift is too small. Hurlbert said the center has received $30,000 and $80,000   gifts, and have had alumni donate $25 a month out of their income. No matter what the gifts amount to, she said they are simply about believing in the vision of the LBGT Resource Center. 

Alex Lange, the newly-appointed assistant director of the LBGT Resource Center,  said the gift gives the center an opportunity to focus on its four main goals over a long stretch of time. 

He said these goals — improving campus climate for LGBT students, continuance of students staying and graduating from MSU, creating connectivity to make campus feel like a home for students and giving students tools for being out in their careers — are one of the center's visions for many upcoming years.

"One of the best advantages of a gift this size is the sustained impact on campus," he said. "We're already seeing great work happen. It's so rewarding to come into this and see all the work Deanna and others have done with the center and to have received such a gift. ... It's amazing. If you look at the 100 or 200 or so resource centers at the thousands of institutions around the country, to have received a gift of such size is incredible. Most dream of this kind of stuff." 

Share and discuss “LBGT Resource Center receives $1 million gift from anonymous donor” on social media.