Students with gym memberships obtain higher GPAs, study finds

The study was conducted by James Pivarnik, professor of kinesiology and epidemiology, and doctoral student Samantha Danbert. Over the course of two years, MSU students who participated in the study had to purchase a gym membership at the IM facilities on campus.

Pivarnik said the data shows the correlation between purchasing a membership, GPA and retention. MSU isn’t only interested in the GPAs of the student body, retention — students completing a degree — is important, too. The study did not address whether or not participants actively used the gym membership.

“It’s an initial thing and more research is in the works concerning physical activity,” Pivarnik said.

Pivarnik said the study is unique because the gym memberships that participants used were paid for out of pocket, which could provide a sense of ownership.

“Psychologists might say it’s ‘buy-in value’ — I bought it so I’ll use it,” Pivarnik said.

Pivarnik said it’s no secret physical activity and academic performance are connected.

Cristian Garcia Mendoza Jr., a kinesiology major, said he has a gym membership and thinks working out helps him study and makes him feel less tired.

“I’m able to concentrate better,” he said.

Garcia Mendoza said if the IM facilities were not available, he wouldn’t have a gym membership anywhere else.

Animal science major Janae Carter doesn’t think having a gym membership is required to take advantage of the benefits of working out.

Carter started working out consistently at home at the beginning of the summer and said she has noticed an improvement in her ability to focus in class.

“My GPA (is) not as low as it was previously,” she said.

Carter said she works out when she has the time and doesn’t necessarily have a set schedule.

Share and discuss “Students with gym memberships obtain higher GPAs, study finds” on social media.