Former MSU men's basketball player David Thomas joins women's basketball staff

A former member of the MSU men's basketball squad who won the 2000 NCAA National Championship will join the women's basketball program as the new director of basketball operations and technology, head coach Suzy Merchant announced Monday.

David Thomas will begin on July 14, joining a women's basketball team that won a share for the regular season Big Ten Championship and advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

Since 2002, Thomas has facilitated a summertime basketball clinic for boys and girls ages 2 to 12.

Thomas' experiences, including his sports career, make him a great addition to the team, Merchant said.

"We are so thrilled to have David Thomas as part of our women's basketball staff," Merchant said in a statement. "His business background, community involvement, as well as being a Spartan (alumnus), will translate extremely well into the operations position. His success as a Spartan and a professional athlete is unparalleled and will make an immediate impact on our program. He's a tremendous role model for our student-athletes and we are blessed to welcome him back `home' to the great Spartan family."

Share and discuss “Former MSU men's basketball player David Thomas joins women's basketball staff” on social media.