Residents celebrate Fourth of July with downtown fireworks

An estimated 40,000 came out for the event situated at the Adado Riverfront Park and the Lansing Lugnuts' Cooley Law School Stadium Friday, which garnered attendees from within Lansing and many surrounding cities.

The evening was filled with food, games and activities for the children, and performances from the Lansing Concert Band, directed by Gary Sullivan.

The combination of tens of thousands of people and pyro-based entertainment resulted in a safety-first approach from city officials, utilizing the perimeter already in place for the Common Ground Music Festival coming later in July.

Mayor Virg Bernero, who oversees the event, said Lansing is on it's way to becoming "that cool downtown" destination.

The weather seemed to cater to the day of the event, with sunshine and comfortable temperatures throughout the holiday.

Bernero said city officials are developing Lansing as an entertainment hub, a place where people can come and “let their hair down.”

But the mayor isn’t the only one with a vision for the city.

Lansing resident Tom Blanchard, who has attended the fireworks show for many years, enjoys the sense of community events such as these bring out.

"(These events) can illicit some kinship,” Blanchard said. “It’s important to be with the community.”

He said the feeling is strong because Lansing is where he is from. The mix of people from various cities around Michigan gathered in both the Adado Riverfront Park and the Cooley Law School Stadium, were both separate and united as they watched the same fireworks in the sky that night.

Tradition can be a draw for holiday events as well.

Lansing resident Brelynn Flake said she came to the event for the first time this year simply because she noticed it was an annual event and wanted to see the fireworks.

But the holiday fosters a sense of community all on its own.

“The Fourth of July symbolizes the sacrifices our men and women overseas have committed to,” Flake said.

The fireworks also provided entertainment for onlookers, even though the fireworks might not be as patriotic as flags.

“Although the fireworks have no real meaning, I enjoy seeing them,” Flake said.

Share and discuss “Residents celebrate Fourth of July with downtown fireworks” on social media.