ESPN ranks Tom Izzo third best basketball coach in NCAA

<p>Head coach Tom Izzo responds to questions from the media on March 21, 2014, at Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena in regards to their upcoming game against Harvard on Saturday. Izzo commented on his relationship with Harvard head coach Tommy Amaker, Payne's performance in Thursday's game, and his reaction to how Harvard plays. Betsy Agosta/The State News</p>

Head coach Tom Izzo responds to questions from the media on March 21, 2014, at Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena in regards to their upcoming game against Harvard on Saturday. Izzo commented on his relationship with Harvard head coach Tommy Amaker, Payne's performance in Thursday's game, and his reaction to how Harvard plays. Betsy Agosta/The State News

Photo by Betsy Agosta | The State News

Since early June, ESPN had counted down the top 50 best college basketball coaches in the United States. On July 2, they announced Michigan State’s own Tom Izzo at number three.

Getting into the top three college coaches is no small feat. ESPN credits Izzo’s powerful resume, which includes 468 wins, 17 consecutive NCAA tournament bids, six final fours and a national championship, for his placing.

The ESPN article collected interviews from people who worked with Izzo throughout his career, including former MSU player Draymond Green and athletic director Mark Hollis.

“Sometimes he’ll bring you in his film session, just you and him and you realize it’s like you aren’t watching the same film at all,” said Draymond in an interview with ESPN.

ESPN writer Eamonn Brennan said Izzo’s postseason consistency places him a notch above most coaches.

“Expecting Final Fours is silly, because getting to the Final Four is insanely hard,” Brennan wrote. “Here’s the most impressive thing you can say about Izzo, then: In his 19 seasons in East Lansing, Izzo has made the whole thing look so rote that it’s more surprising when his teams don’t get to the Final Four than when they do.”

Last season, Izzo led the Spartans to the Elite Eight in the NCAA Tournament, losing to Connecticut.

Rounding out the top three on ESPN’s list are Kentucky head coach John Calipari taking the top spot and Florida head coach Billy Donavan as the runner-up.

Share and discuss “ESPN ranks Tom Izzo third best basketball coach in NCAA” on social media.