ESPN names MSU's scoreboard ninth best in college football

<p>The new scoreboard at the northwest end of Spartan Stadium is near completion on Thursday, July 26. 2012. The $10 million project with three scoreboards surrounding Spartan Stadium will be used for the first time during the upcoming football season. State News File Photo</p>

The new scoreboard at the northwest end of Spartan Stadium is near completion on Thursday, July 26. 2012. The $10 million project with three scoreboards surrounding Spartan Stadium will be used for the first time during the upcoming football season. State News File Photo

Photo by State News file photo | The State News

The sports network cited the $10 million upgrade, which expanded the video board’s size by nearly tenfold, as the reason for the ranking.

“This gives a whole new meaning to The Big Green,” ESPN’s Edward Aschoff said in the article.

The upgrade increased the video board’s size from 567 square feet to 5,300 square feet, ESPN reported.

With a high-definition scoreboard measuring nearly 7,370 square feet, Texas beat MSU for the #1 slot, proving once again everything is bigger in Texas.

MSU completed the scoreboard renovations during the fall 2012 semester. The upgrade featured a 5,300-square-foot video board on the south side of the stadium and two smaller boards on the north side.

“This new technology is going to give us an opportunity to entertain people better,” deputy athletic director Greg Ianni said in a previous interview with The State News.

Share and discuss “ESPN names MSU's scoreboard ninth best in college football” on social media.