City ordinances set guidelines concerning Fourth of July festivities

The Fourth of July is a day of celebration, revelry, food and fireworks for most Americans. Citizens of East Lansing, however, might want to think twice before launching those dazzling mortars into the air.

On July 1, the city issued a statement reminding citizens of the Fourth of July rules and regulations.

In particular, the city warned citizens of the ordinances regarding fireworks.

Since the state of Michigan legalized larger, commercial fireworks to the public, East Lansing has made an effort to regulate them.

Commercial fireworks are defined as, “fireworks that explode and/or leave the ground,” according to the city’s website.

The state of Michigan has general regulations toward commercial fireworks, such as only allowing them during the days surrounding a national holiday, for example — Fourth of July, New Year’s Day and Memorial Day.

The city also establishes time restrictions during these days.

The city only allows commercial fireworks to be launched during the hours of 8 a.m. to 1 a.m. Penalties for violating this ordinance are mostly monetary, often resulting in a civil infraction with a $500 fine.

Using fireworks during the allotted hours is part of being a good neighbor, city council member Ruth Beier said.

“It’s a basic tenant of being a good neighbor,” Beier said. “You have to think about the noise you are making and be respectful to your neighbors.”

Another problem is the potential safety issue of using commercial fireworks.

East Lansing Police Department Captain Jeff Murphy said the condensed city of East Lansing is no place for the larger fireworks.

“Unless you have a nice big lot, it’s not really safe to shoot them off anywhere in a congested neighborhood,” Murphy said. “Find somewhere ... there is a nice big lot or get permission from other citizen(s) to use their private property.”

The city also forbids the use of fireworks on any public property, such as sidewalks and streets.

“There (are) not too many areas in the heart of the city where it is safe to shoot fireworks,” Murphy said.

Beier also said the late night revelry, coupled with potentially dangerous fireworks, could be a deadly mixture. She recalls one scenario where a late-night celebration turned into a near catastrophe.

"(Near my home) there is a (student) co-op and they were launching fireworks off the roof,” Beier said. “One landed on the roof and caused a horrible fire.”

These types of accidents are the ones Beier hopes the ordinance prevents.

Any citizens using fireworks under the influence of alcohol or to destroy private property could see a stricter penalty.

“You could end up spending 90 days in jail and (a $5,000 fine),” Murphy said.

The penalties for violations where a person is injured or killed could warrant up to $10,000 and 15 years in jail.

“Fireworks have always have been a big part of the Fourth of July,” Beier said. ?“(But) if you’re going to live in the city, you have to be a decent neighbor.”

Share and discuss “City ordinances set guidelines concerning Fourth of July festivities ” on social media.