City Council discusses potential Showroom Shine apartment additions

A request to construct a three-story addition onto the existing detail shop at Showroom Shine car wash at 248 West Grand River Avenue was discussed at Tuesday night's East Lansing City Council work session.

Showroom Shine President, Owner and Operator Mark Sprinkel  said the addition would contain a total of nine one-bedroom apartments, with three apartments on each floor. Each of these apartments would have a balcony.

During the work session, Council member Kathleen Boyle asked if adding nine residents to the area would overwhelm available parking since most metered spaces are already occupied by Crunchy's and Biggby Coffee customers, especially during the busiest hour.

In addition to Boyle's comment, East Lansing resident Debbie Astrein  also shared her parking concerns during and following the work session.

"Parking is already an issue here," Astrein said.

However, Sprinkel doesn't think parking will be an issue because he said there are plenty of parking units in that area.

His plan is to offer valet parking to his residents.

Sprinkel said there are 20 to 30 daytime parking meters behind Showroom Shine and he plans to purchase nine of those metered spaces so that each resident will have a parking space for their car.

He said his residents could pull up to the building, give their keys to an employee and the employee will move the resident's car to one of the metered spaces.

However, if the residents have visitors, the host will be responsible for finding another location for their guest to park.

Sprinkel has had this plan in mind from the beginning and when the detail shop was constructed, it was built with the foundation needed in order for the building to expand upward.

If this plan is approved by the Council and the project is started by this fall, Ryan Henry, co-founder of Kincaid Henry Building Group, Inc. , said the apartments will be ready by next summer.

Until then, this issue will be brought before the council again at the August 6 City Council meeting.

Share and discuss “City Council discusses potential Showroom Shine apartment additions ” on social media.