Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Assistant softball coach to be inducted into hall of fame

Assistant softball coach Jessica Bograkos will be one of seven people inducted into the Greater Lansing Sports Hall of Fame on Thursday. Bograkos has been MSU’s assistant softball coach for eight seasons.

"I am humbled and honored to be a part such an impressive, exclusive group," said Bograkos in a statement. "I'm so grateful for the opportunities that my athletic career has afforded me, as well as the lasting relationships I have cultivated throughout it. I'm incredibly fortunate to have had such an amazing group of coaches, mentors and friends who always encouraged me, challenged me and taught me so may lasting lessons."

"I also want to thank the selection committee for making me a part of this induction class," Bograkos added. "It is a tremendous honor to represent both Okemos and Michigan State in the Greater Lansing Sports Hall of Fame."

Bograkos graduated Okemos High School in 2000 and led the Okemos Chiefs to their first MHSAA Division I state softball championship the same year.

Bograkos played softball for the Spartans from 2001 to 2004 and earned the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) All-America kudos twice. She holds records for MSU in career no-hitters (4), wins (72), shutouts (24) and strikeouts (659). She also holds single-season records for wins (29), innings pitched (283.1), appearances (53), shutouts (13) and the top two spots on the single-season strikeout chart (264, 235).

Bograkos was a First-Team All-Big Ten selection in her senior year. During that time she secured 29 wins as a pitcher and led the Big Ten in batting in conference games with a .406 batting average. She earned Big Ten All-Tournament Team honors, was an All-Big Ten pick, and was a CoSIDA Academic All-District honoree.

Share and discuss “Assistant softball coach to be inducted into hall of fame” on social media.