AgExpo show highlights MSU's agricultural roots

The 35th annual AgExpo show kicked off Tuesday morning and will continue until Thursday afternoon at the AgExpo grounds on Mount Hope Road.

MSU has deep ties in Michigan's agricultural community and the exposition serves as a means to connect individuals in the agricultural industry with recent technological developments and techniques to improve efficiency and profit on farms.

AgExpo provided an opportunity to educate its attendees on the importance of agriculture in the community and the roles it plays.

Educational program coordinator Betsy Braid said AgExpo had different demonstrations, such as learning how food gets from the farm to the plate.

"A lot of people are farther removed from the farm at this point," Braid said.

Tractors, sprayers and trailers filled a swath of south campus to show farmers the latest in production technology, but the expo also gives the public a chance to learn more about the topic of agriculture.

Braid said the purpose of AgExpo is to bring farmers in to see equipment and interact with companies in addition to educating the public.

“We do it more as an educational opportunity than anything,” Braid said. “Really just to get people into the grounds, learn about agriculture — a way for the farmers to come see the new technology and visit with exhibitors.”

Known as the largest outdoor farm show in Michigan, over 200 exhibitors set up tents and booths at the expo.

Equipment for farming, dairy and livestock was on in display in tents to show off products to AgExpo attendees.

Beck’s Trailer Superstore and Service Center associate Robert Beck said the small space where the show is located with the amount of people who show up is beneficial for the business.

“(AgExpo) brings in more customers, gets more awareness and more exposure,” Beck said. “If you’re gonna be in business you got to make yourself known and this is the place to do it.

Expo attendees had the chance to test drive equipment during the event.

MSU's College of Agriculture and Natural Resources played an important role during the duration of the AgExpo.

The tent provided hands-on learning experiences for situation like what to do if someone becomes trapped in a grain bin, in addition to providing information for those interested in studying a degree in the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources.

MSU Extension, MSU's main form of outreach into the agricultural community, also had booths and information for interested attendees.

Aside from businesses showing off the latest technology in agriculture production, special events also occurred during the event.

The show began with a Future Farmer’s of America tractor driving contest and there was also a demonstration of how to use unmanned aerial vehicles, or drones, for economic benefit.

Braid said depending on the whether, the expo could see between 12,000 and 15,000 people.

Indiana resident Jennifer Van Lieu said she came to the AgExpo on her day off with friends to see what was occurring at the show.

“It’s a really great experience for me because it’s my first time being here,” Van Lieu said. “I liked the different booths where you could have hands-on experiences.”

Share and discuss “AgExpo show highlights MSU's agricultural roots” on social media.