Crews work begin work at 3 a.m. to maintain campus

<p>Westphalia, Mich., resident Brian Arens assembles a grid system to construct a ceiling June 11, 2014, in the School of Packaging. Brian has been working with MSU Facilities for 16 years. Corey Damocles/The State News</p>

Westphalia, Mich., resident Brian Arens assembles a grid system to construct a ceiling June 11, 2014, in the School of Packaging. Brian has been working with MSU Facilities for 16 years. Corey Damocles/The State News

Photo by Corey Damocles | The State News

An overnight cleaning at Ramp 5 near Trowbridge Road last week was one of many projects to take place this summer. Crews are responsible for power washing the stairwells and cleaning the decks in each ramp.

Gum and graffiti are removed as needed throughout the year, but deep cleaning happens when most students leave for the summer.

Crews cleaning the decks of a ramp start from the highest level and work their way down, first street sweeping the concrete and then putting down environmentally-friendly products to break up oil stains and other chemicals left by parked vehicles throughout the year.

An oil separator is hooked to the drains in the ramp and the crews come back through with a power washer to rinse each level.

Project manager Adam Lawver said each ramp takes at least five full working days to clean and crews have to adjust their schedules from day shifts to shifts that start around 3 a.m.

“We’re really fortunate we have a good, dedicated crew that’s willing to work those hours,” Lawver said.

Crews are made up of full-time staff and seasonal staff, all employed by IPF. Lawver said while it used to take six employees to clean a ramp, new procedures have been put in place for efficiency, leading to the number now being two employees.

Lawver said coordinating with Engineering and Architectural Services is important so ramp cleaning takes place after structural repairs are completed.

Mark Makela, a member of a seasonal crew responsible for structural repairs on the ramps, said the summer is ideal for the necessary work. Not only are there fewer cars in the parking garages, but the weather plays a factor in how quickly work can be done.

“A lot of equipment is weather-variable,” Makela said.

In addition to ramp repairs and cleaning, employees are conducting remodels and general maintenance for buildings and grounds. Other scheduled summer maintenance includes asbestos abatement, generator testing, hydrant flushing and masonry inspections.

Gus Gosselin, director of Building Services, said his department handles maintenance inside buildings — water, sewer and electrical — and the summertime is busy because all the colleges and departments need work done.

Gosselin said his number one job is fixing things. While he sometimes deals with smaller remodels, the majority of that work is done by the engineering department.

“I’m high enough on the food chain that I don’t have a hand in all the work we do, but I can say our people are very busy,” Gosselin said.

Share and discuss “Crews work begin work at 3 a.m. to maintain campus” on social media.