MSU recruit Jayru Campbell sentenced to 60 days in jail

The incident, which was video-recorded and featured on several social media sites, showed Campbell body slam Cass Tech Securitas security guard Robert Donovic following a brief verbal confrontation where Donovic asked Campbell to remove his hood.

Campbell initially was charged with assault with intent to do bodily harm, a felony, and aggravated assault, a misdemeanor, but the felony was dropped in a plea deal Campbell accepted in early May, the Detroit Free Press reported.

As part of the plea deal, Campbell read a written apology to Donovic in court on Friday, and will take anger management courses and undergo a psychological evaluation.

In addition to the jail sentence, Campbell will serve 15 months probation, complete 700 hours of community service and will be responsible for Donovic’s remaining medical expenses.

Campbell will begin his sentence July 28, following the completion of his summer school courses. According to The Free Press, the sentence could potentially overlap with Cass Tech’s 2014 football season if Campbell isn’t released early for good behavior.

Campbell is widely regarded as one of the top quarterback recruits in the nation and received offers from Alabama, Notre Dame and Wisconsin.

Share and discuss “MSU recruit Jayru Campbell sentenced to 60 days in jail” on social media.