MSU alumni help to create and maintain Festival of the Moon and the Sun

Executive director and MSU alumna Louise Gradwohl said the Festival of the Sun began as a promotional event to bring people to the neighborhood. The Festival of the Moon was added five years later.

“It was just a really great way to encourage a new audience down here and make them see that there was a revitalization happening,” Gradwohl said. “It has just slowly evolved and we’ve gotten a larger and larger crowd.”

More than 130 different types of beer and wine were poured for attendees and gave participants a chance to enjoy Old Town during the festival, which served as a fundraising event for the Old Town Commercial Association, which funds the Old Town Farmer’s Market, Scrap Fest and other parts of Old Town such as the Turner Street Outdoor Theater.

The Festival of the Moon is a celebration of one of the shortest nights of the summer and the Festival of the Sun marks the summer solstice.

In addition to the food, beer and wine samplings, henna tattoo artists were inking festival attendees, live bands seranaded attendees and a psychic gave readings.

Festival director and MSU alumna Grace Guerra said the event helps introduce people, particularly students, to the area.

“I don’t think Michigan State students know about Old Town, so it’s really cool when you get some kids that come out and check it out,” Guerra said.

The Festivals of the Moon and Sun coincide with Lansing Beer Week which began June 20 and continues until June 28.

Outside of the festival, That’s How We Brew, a home brewing supply store in Lansing, educated guests on how to craft an Oktoberfest lager.

Among the beer and wine available to try were samples from some of Michigan’s own breweries such as Bell’s and Founders.

Gradwohl said there were samples not only from Michigan brewers, but also from national brewers.

Interdisciplinary studies in social science junior Tyler Moreno said she thought the festivals were a great way to try different kinds of beer or wine.

“The best part about this season is finding all the different kind(s) of beers and different kind(s) of brewing companies and knowing what I want to buy in stores,” Moreno said.

Share and discuss “MSU alumni help to create and maintain Festival of the Moon and the Sun” on social media.