Council considers reframing Park District

Redevelopment and reconstruction were central themes in the East Lansing City Council work session on June 10, where the council focused on the Park District project's redevelopment west of Abbot Road.

The project is the result of a 10-year process to restore the blighted area west of Abbot Road.

The council discussed two proposals regarding the project, the first being an amendment to the pre-development agreement with DTN Management Company, the other dealt with the selling of city land for the purpose of Park District Development.

The amendment would change deadlines for the DTN project while also exempting some buildings from the development. 

Under the city of East Lansing charter, any selling of city property must be authorized by a city vote.

The proposal creates two ballot initiatives, one allows the city to sell three parking lots to the west of Abbot Road and the other allows the selling of the green space next to Black Cat Bistro.

Council was uneasy with the loss of green space, specifically the lot near Black Cat Bistro.

"There was talk about looking the green space (near Black Cat Bistro) and opening up the green space into Valley Court," Council member Kathleen Boyle. "Are there plans to add any green space west of abbot?"

With the logistics of the Park District project still up in the air, the questions went largely unanswered. 

The council members also discussed renovations of two East Lansing businesses.

East Lansing's Buffalo Wild Wings, also known as BW3, applied for a permit which would renovate its existing building to create more seating as well as a more efficient grease disposal system.

"Typically (interior redevelopment) doesn't need to go back through the council process, but the business is increasing their seat occupancy by 10 seats and total occupancy by about 20," East Lansing Planning & Zoning Administrator Darcy Schmitt said.

The change in occupancy is greater due to an increased waiting area for the restaurant.

Council expressed some concern over increasing the occupancy of a bar that serves alcohol. In the past, council has been hesitant on occupancy increases that could turn a food-focused restaurant into an alcohol-focused one.

The council also discussed another proposal for renovation to the Marriott hotel on M.A.C. Avenue. The proposal calls for the hotel's restaurant and bar, which is currently located on the second floor, to be moved to the first.

"This is another project that is renovating to keep up with the market standards," said Schmitt.

All four proposals still must go through city council approval at a regular session. 

Share and discuss “Council considers reframing Park District ” on social media.