Students and professors educate community through Bee Palooza

Graduate student Emily May teaches attendees about bees and pollination 

Photo by Meagan Beck | The State News

As a closing to National Pollinator Week, MSU held its third annual Bee Palooza on Sunday at the Horticulture Gardens.

The purpose of Bee Palooza was to increase awareness, inform the public on the importance of pollinators and educate people on what they can do to improve the environment for pollinators.

Attendees had the chance to learn about the 400 species of bee which can be found in Michigan.

Professor of entomology Rufus Isaacs said Bee Palooza was the only celebration in Michigan of National Pollinator Week.

“We give people examples of how to build the nests for some of the bees (and) how to plant certain native plants that will help give them food during the year,” Isaacs said. “We’ve got a station that will educate (attendees) on all the different kind of bees and put all that together here in the Demonstration Gardens.”

One of the big events of National Pollinator Week occurred Friday when President Barack Obama announced a national memorandum directing agencies to better pollinator health.

Bee Palooza attendees were able to learn about honey and bumble bees and the foods which pollinators have an impact on. They also could have their faces painted with drawings of bees.

Isaacs said pollinators are important in the production of fruit and nut crops such as almonds and apples.

Pollination occurs when pollen grains fertilize the seed-producing ovaries in flowers. Bees play a major part in this by assisting in the transfer of the grains to the flowers.

MSU alumnus Mike Krcrmarik said he came to Bee Palooza because he has his own hives and wanted to learn more about bees.

“Everyone always talks about how (bees) are going through this special process ... I thought it’d be cool to see what it’s all about,” Krcmarik said.

One station informed attendees how to garden the bee-friendly way, and allowed them to take home a native seed mix to add to their own gardens.

Graduate student Emily May educated attendees on how to make a garden draw-in bees, and said having certain flowers in a garden is important because they provide food for bees.

“If you can, plant a garden that has abundant blooms throughout the season to support bees all the way through ... and then have a variety of colors and different flower shapes, because different bees like different kinds of flowers,” May said.

Share and discuss “Students and professors educate community through Bee Palooza” on social media.