MSU baseball loses to Nebraska in round two of Big Ten Tournament, 3-2

<p>Senior catcher Joel Fisher walks off the field May 22, 2014, during the Big Ten Baseball Tournament at TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Nebraska. The Cornhuskers defeated the Spartans, 3-2.</p><p>Photo courtesy of Julia Nagy/The Omaha World-Herald</p>

Senior catcher Joel Fisher walks off the field May 22, 2014, during the Big Ten Baseball Tournament at TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Nebraska. The Cornhuskers defeated the Spartans, 3-2.

Photo courtesy of Julia Nagy/The Omaha World-Herald

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

Following an opening day upset over third-seeded Illinois, the MSU baseball team couldn't put together a winning streak on Thursday.

A late RBI double allowed Nebraska (39-18 overall, 18-6 Big Ten) top the Spartans (30-25, 11-13) in the second round of the Big Ten Tournament at TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Nebraska, 3-2. 

The Spartan bats were cold for much of the game as Nebraska outhit MSU 10-to-2.

Redshirt freshman left-hander Cam Vieaux had a solid game in his first postseason start, finishing with seven K's and allowing 10 hits in 6.1 innings pitched. Sophomore left-hander Anthony Misiewicz struck out one and allowed zero hits in the remaining innings. 

Nebraska starting pitcher Aaron Bummer had an effective game for the Huskers, finishing with seven strikeouts and allowing two hits in seven innings pitched. 

The Huskers got on the scoreboard in the third inning. A pair of quick doubles — by Steven Reveles down the left field line, and by Ryan Boldt to left field — advanced Reveles to home to open a 1-0 Nebraska lead. 

Nebraska followed with another run in the fourth. Tanner Lubach hit a leadoff double to put the Huskers into scoring position once again. A ground out bunt by Austin Darby advanced Lubach to third. 

Vieaux struck out the next hitter but walked Reveles, sending Lubach home to give Nebraska a 2-0 lead. 

The Spartans bounced back to tie the game in the fifth. Redshirt junior infielder Ryan Richardson reached second base following a throwing error. Freshman infielder Johnny Nate put Richardson on third on a groud out hit to second base.

Sophomore infielder Justin Hovis hit a single to first base, advancing Richardson for an unearned run following a throwing error at first base. 

Bummer walked MSU sophomore outfielder Cam Gibson and junior outfielder Anthony Cheky, loading the bases. 

Junior first baseman Blaise Salter flied out to right field to advance Hovis to home, evening the score at 2-2. 

The Huskers sealed the win in the seventh frame. Consecutive doubles by Jake Placzek and Michael Pritchard gave the Huskers a 3-2 lead, a lead which the Spartans were unable to overcome. 

The Spartans had two on base in the eighth inning following single to center field by senior infielder Joel Fisher and a walk to Ryan Krill. But Nebraska left-hander Zach Hirsch earned his fourth save of the season following a ground out by Richardson, proceeding to take the Spartans down in order in the ninth.

MSU will face Illinois, its opening-round opponent, in an elimination game on Friday at 4:30 p.m.

Share and discuss “MSU baseball loses to Nebraska in round two of Big Ten Tournament, 3-2” on social media.