Men's, women's golf teams place at invitational tournaments

At the Ohio State University Golf Club, which held the women’s tournament, the Spartans scored a 36-over 900, while freshman Kelly Grassel finished runner-up with a three-over-par 219. Grassel finished one shot behind medalist Jennifer Ha, from Kent State, and tallied 12 birdies during the weekend — including nine in the front nine holes.

Ohio State earned the team title with a 28-over-par 892, and Kent State tied MSU by posting a 36-over 900.

MSU redshirt freshman Gabby Yurik tied for 10th place, posting a 12-over 228. It was her first career top-10 finish.

Seniors Allyssa Ferrell, Liz Nagel and Christine Meier also placed in the top-20 — Ferrell tied for 15th, Nagel for 18th and Meier for 20th. Respectively, they shot a 230, 231 and 232. Junior Lindsey McPherson tied for 27th with a 234.

The women’s team returns to play at the Big Ten Championships on April 25-27 in French Lick, Ind.

As for the men’s team, their 31-over par 895 earned them ninth place out of 15 teams. Leading the Spartans, senior Gareth Blease tied for 16th with a 4-over par 220.

No. 41 Iowa won by one shot over No. 9 Illinois.

The tournament included six teams ranked in the nation’s top 50.

Junior Jon Finley tied for 47th with a 9-over par 225 — he had a team-high 38 pars in the tournament. Freshman Gareth Lappin tied for 62nd, and sophomore Mitch Rutledge tied for 65th.

The men’s Big Ten Championship will take place on May 2-4, also in French Lick, Ind.

Share and discuss “Men's, women's golf teams place at invitational tournaments ” on social media.