Follow Ann Arbor's lead, decriminalize marijuana in East Lansing

<p>Alex Dardas</p>

Alex Dardas

Far be it for me to praise our enemies over in Wolverine country, but I must applaud officials in Ann Arbor for their common sense marijuana policy.

Instead of jail time, misdemeanors and probation, Ann Arbor police issue $25 tickets to individuals found in possession of up to an ounce of pot. Like a traffic ticket, violators are responsible for paying the ticket but do not have any criminal charges to worry about.

A similar policy was approved last November by nearly 63 percent of Lansing voters. The measure legalized the possession, use and transfer of an ounce of marijuana for adults 21 or older on private property. Voters in Detroit, Ferndale, Jackson, Flint and Grand Rapids have also passed similar measures.

Due to a petition drive, residents here in East Lansing might have a chance to vote on marijuana decriminalization next election. Yet, despite all the support for liberalizing marijuana restrictions across the state, real change has been slow moving.

In Lansing, for example, marijuana users continue to face criminal consequences as city officials have decided to ignore the results of the last election and enforce the state and federal laws that criminalize marijuana use.

Lansing Councilwoman Kathie Dunbar made the city’s position on the issue crystal clear shortly after the passage of the measure last November.

“We follow state law in the city of Lansing,” Dunbar said. “Passage of this is not going to impact anything.”

One place where decriminalization seems to have actually had an impact is Ann Arbor and they seem to be doing just fine with it.

Last Saturday marked the 43rd annual Hash Bash hosted on the campus of the University of Michigan. The yearly pro-marijuana rally has become a beloved Ann Arbor tradition, drawing tourists from all over the state and country. This year, the event attracted a crowd of nearly 8,000 social activists, curious onlookers and stoned hippies of all ages and colors.

Given East Lansing’s infamous history with large crowds, such an enormous gathering of people surely seems like a disaster waiting to happen. I mean, the people who attend Hash Bash after all are hardcore drug users and promoters. The Ann Arbor police certainly needed to break out the riot gear to disperse such out of control mob of potheads, right?

Wrong. According to University of Michigan police, a total of one person was arrested on Saturday. No riot gear, tear gas or rubber bullets necessary. Instead of becoming unruly, the huge crowd reportedly contented itself by listening to public speakers, enjoying live music, creating art and of course consuming copious amounts of marijuana (oh, and probably eating Doritos).

Compare this event to the mayhem that unfolded in Cedar Village following the MSU football team’s win in the Big Ten Championship Game last December. On that fateful night, thousands of raucous fans took to the streets of East Lansing, lighting couch fires, breaking bottles and uprooting street signs. More than a dozen people were arrested in connection to yet another embarrassing and widely publicized brouhaha in East Lansing.

In a city with such a disorderly history, I think police officers here have better things to be worrying about than busting students for smoking marijuana. I am not saying that marijuana use needs to be condoned. I personally do not care. Whether or not you feel marijuana is harmful frankly is irrelevant. Every day, people freely decide to consume all sorts of dangerous products. Case in point: I am not currently facing a criminal record because I just ate a Big Mac.

As we saw last weekend in Ann Arbor, marijuana use poses no real threat to the wellbeing of a city. Rather than fighting a futile war against a substance that, at worst, makes people lazy and hungry, East Lansing officials should focus more of their attention on developing a stronger relationship with the students who compose such a large chunk of the city’s population.

Like it or not, this is a college town. The median age of the East Lansing population is 21.6, according to the most recent census. The city’s culture is defined by its proximity to MSU and the students that call East Lansing home.

Marijuana use is not going to go away, regardless of the laws on the books. The fact is there are many important issues to deal with in this city, like crumbling roads, dilapidated buildings, violent crimes and sexual assault, all of which are more pressing than punishing pot smokers. Decriminalization of marijuana is both a reasonable and fair alternative to the current practice of arrest, jail and prosecution. Let’s follow Ann Arbor’s lead by decriminalizing it so we can move on to addressing bigger problems.

Alex Dardas is a journalism and international relations junior. Reach him at dardasal@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Follow Ann Arbor's lead, decriminalize marijuana in East Lansing” on social media.