Gary Harris to enter NBA draft

<p>Sophomore guard Gary Harris looks to shoot March 15, 2014, during a game against Wisconsin at Bankers Life Fieldhouse at the Big Ten Tournament in Indianapolis. The Spartans defeated the Badgers, 83-75. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Sophomore guard Gary Harris looks to shoot March 15, 2014, during a game against Wisconsin at Bankers Life Fieldhouse at the Big Ten Tournament in Indianapolis. The Spartans defeated the Badgers, 83-75. Erin Hampton/The State News

MSU sophomore guard Gary Harris is forgoing his final two college seasons and heading to the NBA, the MSU athletics department announced Monday evening.

In a statement, Harris said decision to leave MSU is in his best interest.

“The last two years have been the best of my life, but it’s time to follow my dream and declare for the NBA Draft,” Harris said in a statement. “This was not an easy decision.”

Harris’ departure isn’t a shock to many. It was even recommended by head coach Tom Izzo, as Harris is widely considered a lottery pick in the upcoming 2014 NBA Draft on June 27.

“I fully support and celebrate Gary’s decision,” Izzo said. “He is well-prepared for a long career.”

Harris averaged 16.7 points and four rebounds per game this past season, and was a first-team All-Big Ten selection. In his freshman season, he averaged 12.9 points and 2.7 rebounds per game after arriving in East Lansing as a highly-touted five-star recruit.

Harris considered leaving after his first year at MSU, but elected to come back in hopes of winning a national championship.

MSU eventually lost to national champion Connecticut in the Elite Eight.

Harris’s parents, Joy and Gary Harris Sr., said in a statement they are thankful for the guidance the basketball program provided for Harris.

Share and discuss “Gary Harris to enter NBA draft” on social media.