Winners announced; Samra will not seek reelection

MSU’s undergraduate student government officially released the results via email on Wednesday after confirming if the winning candidates would accept their positions.

Due to a technical difficulty, the College of Social Science online ballots will remain open until Monday, April 14. Only eight of 14 undergraduate colleges have elected representation so far.

ASMSU President Kiran Samra said she was happy about the outcome.

“I welcome back all the returning representatives and I’m so excited to work with the new representatives in any capacity,” she said.

She also announced she has decided not to run for president.

“As the president of ASMSU, I always want what’s best for the organization and I’m always looking out for the interests of ASMSU above everything else,” she said. “I know that with accepting a full time internship opportunity I will no longer have the ability and the time to be the most effective president.”

James Madison College elected two incumbents for their representatives, Dolores Sinistaj and Kathryn Maass. James Madison’s elections are historically one of the most contested on campus. Five total candidates ran for two seats available.

“I am really honored and excited to represent Madison students,” Sinistaj said. “I’m looking forward to everything this year brings.”

Sinistaj said because of the political culture of the residential college, more students are involved in ASMSU elections. At times, students will reach out to candidates to get more information about why they’re running.

“My biggest goal for the year would be to build a stronger relationship between the Madison community and ASMSU,” she said.

Candidates K.C. Perlberg and Emily Bedard were unable to win seats for the College of Music because they didn’t obtain the required amount of 25 votes per candidate to win.

Perlberg and Bedard will be able to become representatives through an appointment process instead, which will then be voted on by the general assembly.

The College of Business elected four candidates: Amber Addrow-Pierson, Lesile Anne Seery, Pranav Julakanti and current Chief of Staff Greg Jackson.

Jackson decided to give up his seat as a representative to continue being chief of staff, which he was appointed to and approved by the general assembly mid-March.

“It was off the whim,” he said. “The entire year I would’ve never imagined being chief of staff.”

Jackson said during his time he grew to enjoy the position and prefers to remain a staff member, despite having to give up voting.

Per ASMSU code, Office of the President and staff member s are not allowed to vote.

Samra said candidates running for seats in the Office of the President will be announced on Thursday. Elections for those seats will be held April 16 and 17.

Share and discuss “Winners announced; Samra will not seek reelection” on social media.