Football Pro Day draws coaches, scouts to East Lansing

Tuesday afternoon inside the walls of the Duffy Daugherty Building, the chance to chase a childhood dream was within reach for many former Spartan football players.

Representatives from all 32 NFL teams were on hand - including Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin and NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock - as Spartan football players were measured, tested and observed in position drills in the hope of catching interest from a professional team.

Along with people from the professional ranks, former Spartan standouts like Green Bay Packers defensive lineman Jerel Worthy, former All-American Greg Jones and others, like Cleveland Browns running back Edwin Baker were on hand to watch the next group of Spartans looking to make the jump to the NFL .

Senior linebackers Denicos Allen and Max Bullough and senior defensive backs Darqueze Dennard and Isaiah Lewis were the headliners of the day for MSU, but other players participated as well.

Bullough, who was suspended for the Rose Bowl for an undisclosed violation, said he’s discussed it with each team and that it’s all behind him now as he moves forward.

“It’s something that I brought upon myself,” Bullough said. “It was a mistake that I made and I apologized to my team but we’re past that. Myself, my team, the (NFL) teams and coach, we’re past that.”

With 14 players competing for a shot at the next level and the entire NFL there taking a look, head coach Mark Dantonio reflected on what that meant for the program.

“When you win, good things happen to you,” Dantonio said. “If you’re being successful, other things are going to follow, so this is a springboard for that. This is an opportunity for our guys to have a look at the next step.”

Dennard is projected as a first-round draft pick when the draft is held in May. After performing well at the NFL Combine last month, he attributed success to the MSU staff.

“Michigan State runs their program like an NFL team,” Dennard said.

The future is a near lock for Dennard, but other players were working to improve their stock and show they are worth a franchise’s draft pick.

Other Spartans who ran through drills included defensive tackle Micajah Reynolds and linebacker Kyler Elsworth.

The draft is set for May 8.

Share and discuss “Football Pro Day draws coaches, scouts to East Lansing ” on social media.