Masquerade ball brings mystery, entertainment

Students show off their masquerade masks at the Masquerade Ball that took place in the Union Ballroom on Friday, March 21. North Neighborhood Resident Assistant partnered with the University Activity Board to put on the dance.

Photo by Olivia Dimmer | The State News

Students clad in mysterious, colorful masks flocked to the MSU Union ballroom on Friday night for an evening of dancing and masquerade merriment.

The masquerade ball was put on by both the University Activities Board, or UAB, and North Neighborhood resident assistants. It was created to make up for some of the annual dances hosted by the Residential College in the Arts and Humanities that were cancelled.

Anna Stirling, a resident assistant in North Neighborhood, played a big role in coming up with the idea and promoting it. She wanted to do something different and fun for residents. The idea of a masquerade ball came up in resident assistant meetings.

Stirling, who is also an English junior, said having a masquerade ball gave students the opportunity to get dressed up for a themed event outside of typical greek life gatherings.

UAB event director Claire Nuttall helped secure the ballroom for the event. She also provided masks for students to wear during the dance and materials to make their own.

“We hope that students are able to have a night where they don’t have to stress or worry about exams coming up and can just relax and have fun,” Nuttall said.

Stirling said partnering with UAB was easier and yielded good results.

“It’s important for us to partner because we can use our resources more wisely,” she said. “And now students have an alternative to going out on a Friday night.”

By the time the dance was in full swing, the ballroom was packed with students dancing to pop, rap and swing-dance music. The dance also had a photo booth that uploaded pictures to Instagram and printed them out for students.

Advertising sophomore Lizzy Mann said she enjoyed the atmosphere of the event.

“Compared to going to a club, this is more of a no-pressure thing,” she said. “It’s more comfortable, and I’m having a great time with my friends.”

Share and discuss “Masquerade ball brings mystery, entertainment ” on social media.