MSU alumna pursues passion despite difficulties

<p>Okemos resident and MSU alumna Ashley Adkins packages her desserts on March 30, 2014, at her apartment in Okemos after finishing baking. Adkins decided to start her own baking company after graduating from college. Betsy Agosta/The State News</p>

Okemos resident and MSU alumna Ashley Adkins packages her desserts on March 30, 2014, at her apartment in Okemos after finishing baking. Adkins decided to start her own baking company after graduating from college. Betsy Agosta/The State News

Photo by Betsy Agosta | The State News

But after graduating from MSU in 2009, Adkins was weighed down with student debt. In addition, she had two small children to take care of — not exactly an ideal situation to take on a small business loan and build a new business from the ground up.

Although Adkins had almost no capital to start a business, she did have two other vital things: a passion for baking and unwavering determination.

From there her business, cakes.a.roo Bake Shop, was born in 2345 Club Meridian Drive, Okemos, Mich.

“I have a great day job, but it’s definitely not my passion,” Adkins said. “I really enjoy baking, and well, eating baked foods.”

After deciding she wanted to sell baked goods as a supplement to her day job as a financial aid specialist, Adkins applied for the proper license and made a Facebook page to get her name and services out there.

“I’m in this place in my life where I know I don’t want to be in an office all day,“ Adkins said. “So I’m thinking outside of the box. It brings happiness to people, I hope, because when there are treats around, something fun must be happening.”

After launching the Facebook page, her orders began to grow.

She started keeping expense sheets and created a fund that she hopes to put toward a storefront one day.

“Where there’s a will, there’s a way,” Adkins said. “My father-in-law is a business owner, and he’s very blunt and he told me ‘Just do it, don’t over-think it. Just do it.’”

Influenced by both her mother’s and mother-in-law’s baking skills, Adkins often baked cookies or other treats in her small kitchen in her Okemos apartment, which she donated to charity bake sales or for friends’ baby showers and weddings.

Now she is still working out of her small kitchen, but to sell her sweets to friends and family.

She is slowly growing her customer base, but for now, her close friends remain the most supportive of her ambition and aim to help her grow her business.

Haslett, Mich., resident Lori Robinson  ordered a pumpkin roll from Adkins and said she hasn’t stopped talking about it since.

“I believe she will do well,” Robinson said. “I think it ?is wonderful that she is following her passion and her dreams. I will support her and help her in any way I can. I spread the word every chance I get.”

Other friends and customers not only enjoy Ashley’s creations, but admire her ?ambition and determination as well, like Howell, Mich., resident Rose Witt.

“I look at (Adkins) as a young lady with big dreams and I know she can fulfill them,” Witt said. “We need more good, honest, hardworking people in the world like Ashley.”

Share and discuss “MSU alumna pursues passion despite difficulties ” on social media.