Don't lose faith in basketball team yet

<p>Alex Dardas</p>

Alex Dardas

Flashback to Sunday, Jan. 20. The men’s basketball team was 17-1 and ranked third in the nation. Minus a non-conference loss to North Carolina, the Spartans were perfect, sitting atop the Big Ten, looking invincible. The next month, despite missing star big man Adreian Payne because of a foot injury, the Spartans defeated the Indiana Hoosiers, moving them to 18-1 heading into an epic showdown with arch-rival Michigan on the coming Saturday.

The picturesque season was shaping up the way everyone expected. Although battling injuries and illness all season, MSU was on a roll. The highly ranked Spartans, loaded with experience, NBA talent, and guided by a legendary coach were crisp, dominant, dazzling, simply a delight to watch. It all seemed so right, so natural.

Thud. While watching film on Jan. 23, starting forward Branden Dawson grew frustrated and expressed his anger by punching a nearby table.

Crack. A bone in Dawson’s right hand was snapped, requiring immediate surgery, costing the 6-foot-6 junior over a month’s time off the court.

That Saturday, in front of a national TV audience, MSU was defeated at home by Michigan and they have not been the same ever since. The Spartans finished the season on a 5-7 skid and have not won consecutive games since Jan. 21. The losses have been close (Ohio State), surprising (Nebraska) and simply dreadful (Illinois). Bannerless and battered, the Spartans look to salvage their once promising season as they turn their attention to the upcoming Big Ten Tournament and March Madness.

Like most Spartan fans, the team’s recent struggles have left me scratching my head, wondering what could have been. As an Izzone member, I have watched the season implode before my very eyes. We expected to be cutting down nets, but instead we’re just confused and disappointed.

There is a big difference between disappointment and angst, however. A panicked, angry and pessimistic fan base will do nothing to help remedy this team’s current struggles. Sadly, however, this is what I’ve seen from our fans. As fans, we all seemed to be on the same page back on Jan. 20. When the going was good, we were excited, optimistic, and engaged. Now, negativity and doubt have crept in and we seem as lost as our team.

It’s time to step back for a moment. The Spartans clearly are hobbling right now. As the team enters the postseason, the last thing they need is to be ridiculed, criticized, and disowned by their own fans. This team has been through the grinder. They have battled the whole season, forced to fight through more adversity than any other team in the Big Ten could even imagine. Moral of the story: a lesser squad would have broken a long time ago. The Spartans have not been broken.

This team is bruised, but they are not beaten. Every Spartan basketball fan knows March is a magical time. Don’t forget, we have something that nobody else has and his name is Tom Izzo. The road will not be easy, I am not implying that by any means. But remember, these are the same guys who went 18-1 to start the season. They don’t look the same now, but the potential still is there.

The absolute worst thing we as fans can do is direct any more unnecessary negativity toward this team. Being a dedicated fan comes with risks. When things are going well, it is easy, but the waters aren’t always calm. We are only observers - we don’t play defense or shoot free throws. Our impact is the environment we create and the emotions we stimulate. Right now, just like the team, we are being tested. Will we jump ship, or will we stick it out and give the Spartans the support and encouragement they need? That doesn’t mean we can’t be disappointed about how things have turned out, but it is time to turn the page and look to the future.

The Spartans still can achieve greatness, despite the turmoil. They still are 23-8, they still have a chance to win the Big Ten Tournament, and they still can make a run at yet another Final Four. The opportunities are there, the team is slowly getting healthy, and no one can deny their talent. It’s time to put the last few weeks behind us, ditch the pessimism, and restore that early season magic. March has proven to be a pretty special time in East Lansing with head coach Tom Izzo on our side. Let’s have some faith.

Alex Dardas is a journalism and international relations junior. Reach him at dardasal@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Don't lose faith in basketball team yet” on social media.