Anastos says MSU hockey must score to improve

The MSU hockey team took the ice last Thursday against the Ohio State Buckeyes in the inaugural Big Ten hockey tournament and suffered a 2-1 loss in overtime, a microcosm of how the entire season went for the Spartans.

The Spartans finished a disappointing 11-18-7 on the season, going 5-9-6 in the first season of Big Ten hockey conference play. Out of those games, 9 ended in either an overtime loss or tie, as the team struggled to close out games

In reflecting on the season in his final press conference Wednesday at Breslin Center, head coach Tom Anastos said that in short, there was one simple answer for where the team needs to improve.

“We have to improve our ability to score,” Anastos said. “Had we been able to score with more regularity this year, we would have probably won anywhere from eight to ten more games on that alone.”

The head coach isn’t going to change too much with the system they have in place, but is hoping some minor adjustments will lead to more goals scored next season.

“We’re not going to radically change the skill sets we have,” Anastos said. “I think there will be some system adjustments that if we can adapt to, they will create more scoring chances.”

Although the team made it to the NCAA Tournament in his first year, two losing seasons have followed since then with Anastos at the helm.

There has been some public criticism of the lack of success so far from Anastos-coached teams, but the coach said he is fully aware of the expectations that come with a high-profile job like MSU.

He also understands the criticisms directed his way, he said.

“Losing sucks,” Anastos said. “It’s not like you accept that, yet at the same time I did come in with both a plan and also a realistic timeline that I really felt was going to take us where we need to be.

“I think I’m as big of a critic of myself as anyone. Nobody wants criticism, yet at the same time it goes with the territory.”

Anastos said he believes the plan he and athletic director Mark Hollis had when he was hired remains on track.

At that time, he said it would take four to five years to get this program back to being nationally competitive.

As for next season, this will be the first season since Anastos has been here where there won’t be a major overhaul of the roster because of external circumstances, such as players leaving for the professional level or graduating.

With a solid core of players returning next year along with a couple key freshmen enrolling, Anastos hopes to keep working towards the goals he has set and help MSU make its way back into the NCAA Tournament .

Share and discuss “Anastos says MSU hockey must score to improve” on social media.