What you should do to avoid procrastinating for midterms

<p>Alex Dardas</p>

Alex Dardas

We’re in the heat of it now. The calm is over and the storm of midterms, papers and all-night cram sessions has officially begun. We’re two weeks away from spring break, and the tranquility of the first few weeks has been replaced with the stress of looming deadlines and mountains of homework.

Stuck in the heart of what I call midterm season, students at this time of year often start feeling overwhelmed by a seemingly insurmountable pile of tests, assignments and obligations. In many respects, midterm season can even be more challenging than finals week because there is no end in sight.

While a little stress is inevitable for college students, the absolute worst remedy for the unrest of midterm season is this self-destructive habit: procrastination.

Like a temptress, procrastination seduces our senses and overpowers our rationality. We are foolishly enticed into believing that somehow, tomorrow magically will be different. We start automatically substituting now for then. It consumes us, spreading with lethal speed. Before we realize it, we have become hooked on procrastination as if it were a drug.

Procrastination is a trap.

As a reformed procrastinator, I have learned the hard way that stalling does not work. Like death and taxes, inevitably we all must pay the price.

To keep me motivated, I try to keep things simple. If I am assigned a 15-page research paper, for example, I would not write “finish 15-page research paper” on my to-do list.

Instead, I would separate the project into achievable portions. First on my list: develop a topic. Once I get this finished, then I’ll move on to the next item: finding enough sources for my paper. Then I can move on to writing a thesis and eventually tackling the different sections of the paper.
Procrastination only delays the discomfort of midterm season. It does not alleviate it. In the end, putting things off only magnifies your stress, giving you less time to successfully complete your numerous academic obligations.

If I waited until the night before a 15-page research paper, producing quality work would be nearly impossible, and the stress of waiting until last minute might cloud my ability to write a well-constructed piece.

Trying to accomplish a month and a half’s worth of studying in one Red Bull fueled all-nighter is both unhealthy and counterproductive.

Instead of avoiding your work, be proactive and make a plan. Setting manageable, nightly study goals is a much better option that will lead to less stress, more sleep, and ultimately, better grades.
Creating a weekly checklist is something that I do to help me keep tabs on exactly what I need to accomplish and when. I include spaces for all my classes and extracurricular responsibilities, and will fill in exactly what I need to compete for the upcoming days.

For example, after I finish writing this column, I will immediately cross that task off my list and move on to something else.

Every time I check something off that list, I have a tangible record of my progress. In my experience, this method is much more satisfying and productive than trying to just do everything all at once.

The point here isn’t to tell you that my studying technique is so great. It works for me, but obviously everyone is different. What is important is to devise your own method and to stick to it. What is certain is that by eliminating the unsavory habit of procrastination, we avoid strenuous hours of ineffective and exhausting last-second cramming.

So this midterm season, keep calm and remember that midterm season will not last forever. Relax and just think that in a few weeks this will all be over and we’ll just have finals to worry about. (That makes you feel better right?)

Alex Dardas is a journalism and international relations junior. Reach him at dardasal@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “What you should do to avoid procrastinating for midterms” on social media.