Morrill Plaza to commemorate MSU women

<p>University President Lou Anna K. Simon stands with St. Johns, Mich., resident Tom Irrer, right, during the unveiling ceremony of Morill Plaza, Feb. 11, 2014, where Morrill Hall stood for over 100 years. The Plaza is set to honor the heritage and history of women at <span class="caps">MSU</span>. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

University President Lou Anna K. Simon stands with St. Johns, Mich., resident Tom Irrer, right, during the unveiling ceremony of Morill Plaza, Feb. 11, 2014, where Morrill Hall stood for over 100 years. The Plaza is set to honor the heritage and history of women at MSU. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

A small group huddled together under a tent on Tuesday afternoon where Morrill Hall once stood, crowding around to hear MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon and faculty members celebrate the grand opening of Morrill Plaza.

The plaza honors the late Justin Smith Morrill, a representative and senator recognized for his work with the Morrill Land-Grant Colleges Act, as well as prominent women who left their mark on the University in its early years. The plaza lies where Morrill Hall once towered over campus before it was demolished this past summer.

Morrill Hall, also known as the “chicken coop” because it was the first residence hall on campus that housed women, stood for more than 100 years.

President Simon referred to Morrill Plaza as a place for rest and a place for contribution — a way to connect back to the university’s roots.

The inspiration behind former Morrill Hall stemmed from the Morrill Act, which was signed by President Lincoln in 1862. The Morrill Act granted lands and established funding to support colleges where agricultural studies were most prominent.

The kiosk, which is the main focal point in the plaza, features two touch screens that display information about 10 of MSU’s highly-recognized faculty for their ground-breaking studies, such as an anti-cancer drug that was researched by Barnett Rosenberg. Aside from Rosenberg, some of the prominent faculty members currently recognized on the kiosk are William Beal, Beatrice Paolucci and Robert Kedzie.

“It really serves as a remembrance to some of the heritage that she (President Simon) was talking about,” said Lee Morrill, a distant relative of Justin Smith Morrill. “I think it’s a good history lesson for students, as well as a good faculty recognition. There’s a lot of very scholarly people with leadership in education at this university. There’s respect for those folks.”

Bill Beekman, the vice president and secretary of the Board of Trustees, said the idea for the plaza came from President Simon.

“It was in recognition of the fact that we really don’t have a space on campus explicitly dedicated to recognizing some of our historic faculty and their accomplishments,” Beekman said.

Beekman said the Morrill Plaza is an opportunity to understand more about some of MSU’s earliest predecessors. He said administration hopes to add the more faculty to the kiosk in the years to come.

“Michigan State was designed to be the best,” President Simon said. “If the world created a university, it would create us.”

Share and discuss “Morrill Plaza to commemorate MSU women” on social media.