Hockey ties Penn State in regulation, wins shootout

It was a different day but the same story for MSU on Friday night, as the Spartan hockey team earned two points in a 2-2 tie at Penn State with a shootout victory.

Friday was the fourth time in the last five games that MSU went to a shootout to determine the additional point in Big Ten standings. MSU now is 4-2 in shootouts in Big Ten play.

MSU used late heroics from sophomore forward Michael Ferrantino, scoring with less than four minutes left in the third period to knot the game at 2-2 and ultimately send the game to overtime.

The shootout went seven rounds, with junior forward Brent Darnell scoring the lone shootout goal. Sophomore goaltender Jake Hildebrand stopped all seven Penn State skaters in the shootout.

Not including the seven shootout stops, Hildebrand finished with 25 saves.

Despite earning two points in Friday’s game, MSU remains winless in road contests. MSU now is 0-7-3 when on the road this season.

The game entered the second period scoreless after neither team could find the back of the net in the first 20 minutes. The best scoring chance of the period came off a Penn State sophomore forward Eric Scheid shot that ringed off the left post.

MSU would break the scoreless tie only four minutes into the second period on a goal by senior forward Lee Reimer. Senior forward Greg Wolfe blocked a Penn State shot from the point, with the puck rickashaying into the neutral zone.

Reimer won the race to the puck, creating a breakaway opportunity, and he didn’t fail to take advantage, putting it over Penn State sophomore goaltender Matthew Skoff’s left leg pad.

The goal came as senior forward Dean Chelios’ penalty came to an end. The goal was also Reimer’s third of the season against Penn State.

Penn State would respond quickly to knot the game at 1-1, on a Ricky DeRosa goal. Scheid took advantage of a sophomore defenseman John Draeger turnover at the MSU blueline, passing the puck to DeRosa.

From there, DeRosa wristed one past sophomore goaltender Jake Hildebrand to tie the game with 11:34 left in the second.

Freshman defenseman David Thompson also had an assist on the play.

Only 1:05 later, Penn State would take the lead off a power play goal by freshman forward Dylan Richard. Richard was in the right place at the right time, with a deflected shot from the point landing on his stick, giving him an easy tap in goal.

The goal came only seven seconds into the power play.

Junior forward Taylor Holstrom and sophomore forward Casey Bailey had assists on the goal.

MSU had its opportunities in the third period, but couldn’t take advantage, including a five-on-three opportunity for almost two minutes. MSU was able to set it up, but whiffed on a few shots from the point, not generating a great scoring opportunity.

After dominating the tempo of the third period, MSU finally found the equalizer with only 3:54 to go. Ferrantino scored the tying goal off an odd-man rush rebound shot from junior forward Matt Berry.

MSU returns tomorrow night for the second leg of the two-game series at Penn State. Puck drop is set for 3:30 p.m. with the game being televised on ESPNews.

Share and discuss “Hockey ties Penn State in regulation, wins shootout” on social media.