Column: Future looks bright for MSU basketball

<p>Sheehan</p>

Sheehan

Photo by Justin Wan | The State News

From the looks of it, this year could very well be covered in banners and cut down nets for the Spartans.

But lately, with Travis Trice and Denzel Valentine running MSU’s back court, you almost can’t help to look into the future of the 2014-15 season.

Senior guard Keith Appling will be graduated from wearing a green and white jersey.

Gary Harris might take the leap to the NBA after wrapping up this season. Without that duo returning, the Spartans will have to find a way to replace the 32.4 combined points they have put up this season.

While losing Appling and Harris in the backcourt could be a panicking thought for a handful of MSU fans, Trice and Valentine have eased the nerves of the future in their last three games.

Let’s take a look at the numbers in their last three starts for the battered and bruised Spartans.

Believe it or not, Valentine has been putting up numbers that mirror Branden Dawson in the last trio of games. Valentine has averaged 10.3 points to Dawson’s season average of 10.2, and has also grabbed 8.3 rebounds to the junior forward’s 8.7 season average.

Trice also has given Spartan fans 102 minutes of relief, committing zero turnovers in his last three starts in place of Appling. Trice has also given the Spartans 9.6 points and five assists per game in the senior guard’s absence.

Trice and Valentine starting in the backcourt is going so smoothly, even Valentine said he was a little surprised by their solid production they’ve given MSU this past week. Valentine also said it’s not just fans looking at them as next year’s Spartan guards, but it crosses his mind often as well.

“Me and (Trice) always talk about it before the game,” Valentine said after Thursday’s 85-70 win over Northwestern. “This is how it’s going to be next year, so let’s prove that we can play. It’s nice playing with Trav.”

Travis on the other hand? The thought hasn’t been in his mind much. After all, this year’s team still is looking to do something East Lansing hasn’t seen since 2000 – bring home a national title.

“Today’s got enough worries of its own, so I try not to look ahead,” Trice said. “We have a legit chance at winning a Big Ten and a national championship this year, and you never know how many times that’s going to be promised to you, I try to focus on this year.”

So maybe thinking of having Trice as the permanent floor general next year isn’t even an idea to the player himself.

If Trice doesn’t want to think about next season, sophomore forward Matt Costello will entertain the idea. How could he not though after having Appling as the starting point guard during his young career?

When asked about if Trice and Valentine’s recent success is surprising, Costello didn’t even wait for the question to end before he gave his answer.

“No.”

He’s seen how good they are in practice and games, and seeing them adjust to the temporary starting roles isn’t anything close to a shock to him.

What could be a shock?

Seeing how quickly next year will come around with “Travis Trice” and “Denzel Valentine” being announced as starters before the bulk of next season’s games.

Once the Spartans wrap up what could be a historical season, Spartan fans won’t have to turn around and freak out about next season.

Matt Sheehan is a State News basketball reporter. Reach him at msheehan@statenews.com.

Share and discuss “Column: Future looks bright for MSU basketball” on social media.