$18 tax is reason to get to know undergraduate student government

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

It was not until earlier this semester that I learned that as undergraduate students at MSU, we automatically pay an $18 tax to ASMSU. This is a substantial investment. With $18, you could buy a 12-pack of beer, tickets to a concert in Lansing or several gallons of gas.

At first, I felt stupid I had not known. How could I be so unaware of the inner workings of our student government? But as I talked to others, I found out many of my fellow Spartans were unaware of the tax. A majority of the people I talked to felt detached from the processes of MSU’s undergraduate student government, ASMSU.

This was made clear by the 9.2 percent of voters that turned out at last spring’s ASMSU elections. ASMSU’s inability to attract students showed through low attendance at its spring carnival during election week last spring and the Ne-Yo concert that was canceled around the same time. ASMSU also had its funding frozen last year after it was told it needed to transfer its funds to a university account.

Personally, I have found it challenging to stay informed about the systems that influence and collectively represent the students. When I arrived on campus as a freshman, I found it easier to turn toward expression — such as music, photography and other various art forms my friends and I have dabbled in — to make connections with others.

As I have become more acclimated with campus, I have made more of an effort to learn about services that students groups offer and attend on-campus events sponsored by the groups. It’s helped me realize the potential organized groups can have at such a large university, and the power they hold in shaping the college experience of their peers.

But when I was a freshman here on campus, researching MSU’s undergraduate student government was the least of my worries.

Let’s go back to syllabus week of freshman year. I had tons of information flying at me from all different directions — attending my first college classes, attempting to create new relationships and almost every organization on campus offering me information about their mission and begging me to get involved. After not being involved in any extracurriculars in high school outside of basketball, I was overwhelmed.

As I heard about so many “life-changing” opportunities, I became numb to the student group recruitment process; teaching me about an issue, telling me to be passionate about it and encouraging me to join their “inspired” group.

Like many freshmen, I focused on my schoolwork and found a solid community of gentleman on my dorm floor whom I got along with very well. I began to tune out representatives of student groups, assuming they would give the same spiel as the last.

This was foolish. I believe it was around this time that the concept of ASMSU was being introduced to me, most likely at a Welcome Week rally or lecture of some sort. But I didn’t take the time to listen intently and understand the role of our student government. It wasn’t until I heard about the tax that I started paying attention.

Recently, I have looked into the history and the mission of ASMSU. It was founded in 1965, at a time when student activism was at a peak on campus. In the 1970s, MSU was the first school in the Big Ten to provide legal services to students. ASMSU’s tax also helps fund MSU’s yearbook, the Red Cedar Log.

Through their readership program, ASMSU has provided students with access to free newspapers, including USA Today, New York Times and the Detroit Free Press. ASMSU also offers interest-free loans and paid job opportunities to students.

Most of us probably have used one of these resources at some point or another, whether we’ve grabbed a copy of the newspaper off of the rack or snagged a free blue book during finals week. But how many of us have actually talked to our ASMSU representatives? How many even know our representative’s name?

ASMSU is at an important point right now, as it’s previous president stepped down last semester and they are about to select the person who will be the new face of our student body. On Thursday, ASMSU representatives are scheduled to elect the organization’s president.

I have witnessed many instances in which MSU students have shown their ability to come together to promote great causes and ideas whether it be through a student organization, cheering and rallying in support of our sports teams or at a casual off-campus gathering. It is essential for MSU to maintain a strong bond and sense of community amongst its students, and doing so requires us to get to know our student government.

I have learned slowly but surely that it is crucial for students to understand the power structures of our student government if they want to have their voices heard. Make sure you’re not getting robbed of your $18 and be active in getting to know your college’s representatives this spring.

Thomas Kladis is a comparative cultures and politics junior. Reach him at kaldisth@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “$18 tax is reason to get to know undergraduate student government” on social media.