Women's basketball to take on Penn State at 5 p.m.; game airs on ESPN2

The women’s basketball team already has toppled one ranked team during its winning streak. Sunday, they will try for a repeat.

Winners of six consecutive games, the Spartans (12-5 overall, 4-0 Big Ten) will look to maintain its status as the only undefeated Big Ten team as they host No. 16 Penn State (12-4, 3-1) at Breslin Center at 5 p.m.

MSU is coming off of a huge game against Iowa on Thursday, defeating the Hawkeyes in Iowa City for the first time since 2007. They shot 54 percent and held Iowa to 1-13 from behind the arc.

The Spartan defense has been perhaps the biggest factor during the winning streak, as they’ve held opponents to 60.2 points per game on 35.3 percent field goal shooting in the last eight games. MSU has a 7-1 record over the span, with the loss against then-No. 13 Oklahoma State.

The stingy defense will be tasked with stopping Penn State senior guard Maggie Lucas, who’s 21.5 points per game is second highest in the Big Ten. The guard has the highest free throw percentage in the conference and is also top-10 in 3-pointers made and steals.

If the win against Minnesota two weeks ago is any indicator, senior guard Klarissa Bell is more than up to the challenge. Known for her defensive aptitude, Bell held the Big Ten’s leading scorer, Minnesota’s Rachel Banham, to 13 points on 6-of-19 shooting.

The game will air live on ESPN2.

Share and discuss “Women's basketball to take on Penn State at 5 p.m.; game airs on ESPN2” on social media.