Hockey loses to Ohio State, 5-3, after Buckeye comeback

In a valiant effort by junior forward Matt Berry, MSU fell to Ohio State on Friday night at Value City Arena in Columbus, Ohio, 5-3.

MSU blew a 3-2 lead, giving up three third-period goals — including two within the first 90 seconds of the period.

Buckeye junior forward Ryan Dzingel had three goals on the night, including the final two goals of the game to finish off MSU (6-10-2, 0-2-1-1 Big Ten).

Ohio State (11-6-0, 1-2-0 Big Ten) found the back of the net first on Friday night, with senior forward Alex Szczechura scoring only 4:45 into the first period on the power play. Szczechura scored the backdoor goal after junior forward Max McCormick slide it through the crease. Freshman defenseman Drew Brevig also had an assist on the play.

The Szczechura goal came off a weird situation where both Berry and junior defenseman RJ Boyd ended up in the penalty box, giving the Buckeyes a full two minute 5-on-3 powerplay. Boyd was called for hooking and Berry for boarding.

Berry made up for his earlier penalty, ripping a wrist shot past Buckeye goaltender with 13:22 left in the second period. The equalizer was unassisted and improved his scoring streak to three games.

One wasn’t enough, with Berry striking again, this time giving MSU a 2-1 lead with five minutes left in the second period. Berry scored a power play goal after taking the puck out of the corner and wristing it home. Senior defenseman Jake Chelios and senior forward Dean Chelios had assists on the play.

MSU would hold onto the lead for briefly before Ohio State struck back to tie it up at 2-2. Dzingel netted the tying goal with 3:06 left in the second period. Junior forward Nick Oddo and sophomore defenseman Sam Jardine had assists on the play.

MSU’s huge second period wasn’t done yet, with freshman forward Joe Cox finding the back of the net in the final minute of the second period giving the Spartans a 3-2 lead heading into the 3rd period. Berry continued his monster second period with an assist after digging the puck out from behind the net and dishing it to Cox in front.

Ohio State quickly knotted up and regain the lead with two goals within the first 90 seconds of the third period. Oddo scored only 17 seconds into the 3rd period to tie the game and Dzingel scored his second of the night 1:13 later to give the Buckeyes a 4-3 lead.

The Buckeyes would finish off the Spartans on a power play goal by Dzingel with 3:45 left in the third period, giving Ohio State a 5-3 lead and Dzingel the hat-trick. The goal was assisted by Szczechura and McCormick.

Berry finished the game with two goals and one assist, his first multiple goal game of the season.

Hildebrand finished with 25 saves on the night but gave up five goals, his first time giving up more than four goals in a game all season.

MSU’s power play scored another power play goal on Friday, giving the team three straight games with a power play goal.

MSU will continue to look for its first Big Ten win in the newly formed conference on Saturday night in Columbus, with the game beginning at 7 p.m.

Share and discuss “Hockey loses to Ohio State, 5-3, after Buckeye comeback” on social media.